Bottle trap question

Users who are viewing this thread

Kimster

Reaction score
Anyone know if bottle traps are allowed in the Winnipeg plumbing code? I called an inspector at the city and he didn't know off the top of his head.

Also we have to reroute the hot and cold lines for the shower because of their current proximity to the electrical panel and you can bet we'll be using Pex for that but I've been told I should use copper from the mixing valve to the shower head. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Kim

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anyone know if bottle traps are allowed in the Winnipeg plumbing code? I called an inspector at the city and he didn't know off the top of his head.

Also we have to reroute the hot and cold lines for the shower because of their current proximity to the electrical panel and you can bet we'll be using Pex for that but I've been told I should use copper from the mixing valve to the shower head. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Kim

What is a bottle trap?

I'm gonna say that because I don't even know what it is you're not allowed to installed them. But I'm also not 100% positive what code you guys fall under. If you're under the NPC of Canada then I'd say you're not allowed to use them.

Pex to the shower head for what reason? A little more flow maybe? On new houses I NEVER run copper to the shower head, always pex.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
What is a bottle trap?

This is a bottle trap:

Lots of places sell them because they are compact and people like the looks of them. However, they are generally not allowed because they have an interal partition to keep the seal. Sometimes you'll even see the packages marked with "UPC", "IPC", etc. However, it doesn't mean that it is allowed under UPC/IPC. Turns out they only meet the approved materials of the UPC/IPC.

Here's a thread about them:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?24856-bottle-trap

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimster

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the thread. I think I'd rather go safe than sexy, so I'll look for a nice chrome P-trap instead.

As far as the Pex goes, that's good news. Someone told me the diameter of the Pex is a little smaller even if it's 1/2 inch and it would restrict the flow somewhat. From what you're saying, that's not been an issue.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It IS a little smaller on the internal diameter but you would never notice the difference in flow between copper and pex over a 3.5' run....!

k-9033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimster

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is wondering, I got a call back from the city inspector in Winnipeg. Bottle traps "may" be allowed. They wanted me to provide the details of the model I was going to use. What they're getting at is it's internal workings can't corrode over time so that gases can back up into the living space. So, they specifically wanted me to provide the material it was constructed out of and I already knew that steel wouldn't pass. I think the magic words here would have been plastic or glass.

Doherty, what is your opinion on Bow SuperPex? The stuff available at HD. We used it at my mom's house with no trouble but any known issues?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks