In-Line Vent vs. Air Admittance Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

dzd9fy

Reaction score
What is the difference between these two, and what is the recommended use for an S trap in a basement lav? I am looking at the Oatey 3901 In-Line and the Oatey 39016 AAV if that helps..... Thanks!!

Oatey 39017 SURE-VENT AIR ADM VALVE, 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch, White

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 3901 is just an air admittance valve, el cheapo version. Make sure if you put on ANY AAV that it is installed vertically.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Where would you put a vent on an S trap that would make any difference. If you vent the lateral that it dumps into it still has no effect on the S trap siphoning. If you put it at the only place that would prevent siphoning, which would be the crown of the trap, then you have an illegal crown vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are essentially the same, regardless of what they call them. You CANNOT vent a true "S" trap. You can only use an AAV to keep a "P" trap from becoming an "S" trap.

dzd9fy

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the clarification on the differences between the two.

I am a bit confused on the comments that since it is an S trap it cannot be used, so looking for some insight here. Given the trap is where it is, has worked well for the past 10 years we have been here and guessing since the house was built [1950], what is the suggestion since this is buried under the cement?

Also, how and why would one use this valve vertically on a P trap? That makes absolutely no sense to me....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
S traps used to be used, but are very prone to the trap siphoning dry, so are not allowed today. To install the AAV, you could possibly santee off the vertical, turn up with an elbow, and put the AAV there. Being below the flood rim, this could be problematic. Maybe a wye and a 45 to take if vertical? I would be interested in an inspectors take on this,

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The only way to do it and be compliant would be to come vertical out of the floor into a sanitary tee with the AAV on top of the tee and a P trap into the fixture. As long as the S trap remains there is no code compliant way to vent it.

dzd9fy

Reaction score
ok..... so should I just leave well enough alone? It has been working fine, I was just thinking this would be something that would be a good improvement to a less than ideal, and now not permitted use.

Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks