(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Help with deep but skinny pantry space

Default Help with deep but skinny pantry space

The space available for our pantry is about 87" deep, but only about 27" wide. Furthermore about 4' into the 87", only the top half of space can be used because of clearance for a stairwell. That area currently has a single shelf in it but it's hard to reach things in the back, especially if it's on the shelf.

Right now we're thinking the best we can do is maybe 12" deep 4' shelves along one wall, with recycling bins on the floor under them and then maybe construct a lazy susan for the space above the stairwell. Also maybe some spice racks on the back of the door.

Any other ideas?

Space would really be 82 deep once I added the door. Here is a pic to give an idea of what we have now. Ignore all the wires.

I can enlarge the opening of the space over the stairs. I've thought of putting doors on the left side of that space, but then you'd need to get a ladder on the stair landing to get to anything. Hence. why we're thinking 27" dia lazy susan kind of thing. I'd still lose the corners and back 13" or so, but it'd be much easier to access whatever we did put there.

Rev-a-shelf and a few other companies make some pantry pull-outs that would help you maximize the space, but they aren't cheap.

A cabinet on wheels so you can roll it in and out if needed

I had a similar situation and split the space. Frame in the pantry so it's about two and a half feet deep on the kitchen side for your pantry. Then put access doors on the right side for the rest of the space. (actual dimensions depend on what type of door(s) you use) The skinny area between the dividing wall and stairs can be used to store brooms,mops, etc. Then use the space on top of the stairs to store those items you only use once in a while.

LOL. That's exactly what we did have, Agu. The portion of floor that isn't yellow was a little broom closet of sorts that had a door on it. To get the stuff over the stairs, you had to step up into it and around everything you out there and then try to reach those infrequently used items. We hated it.

One pullout unit I used had a center frame and various sized racks hung on the sides of it.

You have a great space there, and if storage space in your house valuable real estate, I think it might be worth while to at least get a design bid from one of the specialty closet companies. You could at least get some design ideas, possibly free. Even if you had to pay a $75 consult fee, it might be worth it.