Installing a sink tailpiece

Users who are viewing this thread

Titan7

Reaction score
I installed the sink about a year ago, looked under the sink and the tail piece looks like it has a tiny leak where it threads into the drain (the part that attaches to the bottom of the sink). So I took it off and the p-trap, cleaned everything off.

I applied some oatey pipe compount #31226, grey, and then wrapped 3 times with telfon tape and reinstalled. Is this correct?

Also why does the tape always bunch up, I put it on the treads clockwise. I assume there is nothing I put on the PVC P-trap treads on the other side of the p-trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If your going to use both pipe dope and T-tape apply the tape first then the dope. Are you sure it's coming from the tail piece? It may be coming from the connection above it.

John

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll agree many times the leak is coming from the mack washer on the drain above.
Make sure you check that carefully and if it is post back for a solution.

Titan7

Reaction score
I'll agree many times the leak is coming from the mack washer on the drain above.
Make sure you check that carefully and if it is post back for a solution.

It's not the Mack washer. There was some mineral deposits around the tailpiece connection, and it was a bit loose.

So should I take this apart again and redo it?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those are very fine threads , and 3 wraps of tape could be too much. If it is together and not dripping,. let it be!!!!!!!

Titan7

Reaction score
Those are very fine threads , and 3 wraps of tape could be too much. If it is together and not dripping,. let it be!!!!!!!

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (

Titan7

Reaction score

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just don't look. If it isn't leaking, quit beating yourself up. Now..........where's the beer.

I like dope on those threads. It hides better.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks