(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Effiency Savings??

Hybrid View

Default Effiency Savings??

Hi guys, I am new to the forum- and boilers in general. I am in the process of buying a home with a gas fired boiler. The only thing I remember about it is that it was installed in 1963, and it has 3 zones. The house is 5500sqft all appliances are gas. The gas bill is close to $6K a year. The electric is not very much more than what I pay now and its a much larger home (both have central AC). I am guessing either the house stays cool, or the boiler is just so inefficent that it is burning money. I did notice the people that live in it now have it on in the summer- the temp guage read around 180 deg. How much of a difference will a new effiecent boiler make, also shouldnt I turn it off in the spring/summer? It seems like it would cost alot to keep that water warm all year round. It has a separate water heater. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Are you sure the WH is not an indirect? This is a tank that is heated by the boiler, not an internal burner. If it isn't an indirect, then yes, you can turn it off in the summer.

Depending on the system you have and how it was installed, a new boiler might save you a fair amount. Back then, the boilers often were way oversized. So, the first thing you need to do is do a heat loss cal to see what size boiler you really need. A condensing, modulating boiler with an outside reset would likely get you a tax credit and/or a rebate from your utility or state.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for your quick resonce. I am assuming its a boiler. It has a 3 B&G valves then a large tank. The home inspector said it was an expansion tank but it looked like a large holding tank? It didnt look like a expansion tank because it was large. Maybe I can get some pics of it. How do I calculate heat loss? Judging its a very old house that was originally a carriage house I am not sure how well its insulated.

How do you find out about tax credits/rebates in PA? Thanks again!

I just re-read your post. The water heater is completely separate. Its not plumbed into the boiler.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There are federal tax credits available for 30% of hardware costs up to $1500 but you must meet certain efficiency requirements to qualify. call your local utility company to see if they are offering any rebates on equipment. They, along with the gas association, are often giving rebates on new, efficient equipment. A few years ago, I got $1100 back for a new boiler and indirect WH. Some states do rebates as well. A google search may turn up things.

There are some on-line manual j or heat loss analysis spreadsheets. They require imputs of size, orientation, size of windows, insulation, etc. to get a good result.

When I upgraded my boiler (a Buderus mod-con 142 series if I remember correctly), my gas bill dropped a bit more than 1/3. My old one wasn't that inefficient, either.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014