About Pilot Valve Type...

Users who are viewing this thread

Seckin

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Hi,
I want to learn about the Pilot Valve Type in fill valves of the bowl's tank. What's Pilot Valve Type? Why is it for? I'm looking forward your answers and experiences about it.

Thanks a lot...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Broadly speaking, a pilot operated valve uses the system water pressure to actually move the main open/close mechanism, usully a diaphragm of some type. Pilot operated valves use a small mechanical operation ( toilet) or the movement of an electrical solenoid ( lawn sprinklers ) or an air or hydraulically moved piston ( industrial) to control ports which then allow the system pressure to open/close the valve.

Seckin

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
I actually can not imagine how and which part of the mechanism moves by water pressure and where does it move?
I think I need a schematic explanation to understand the subject correctly.

Seckin

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Does it mean there is no necessity to operate it by hand or handle etc., is water pressure enough to fill the tank and stop filling when the float reach at the adjusted point?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is a diaphrgm in the valve. When the valve is closed the pressure on both sides of the diaphragm are equal. When you flush the toilet, a port, the pilot, on the chamber above the diaphragm opens and the incoming water pressure pushes it up so water can flow. When the float senses the tank is full, the pilot opening closes, and a bypass port, usually in the diaphragm, allows the water to enter the upper chamber and shut off the valve. The advantage of a pilot operated valve is that it opens and closes quickly. Especially compared to the common float valve which allows less and less water to flow as the valve is closing. The key to its proper operation is that there must be enough "residual pressure" in the valve, even with water flowing, to fill the upper chamber. It there is not, then the valve will flow "forever" or until there is enough pressure to close it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks