Can I cut fittings to get flange to fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

moserro

Reaction score
I only have 2x6" joists where I'm installing my new bathroom, and the 90 degree elbow that the toilet will drain to is more than 6" tall. Without having some space between the top of the fitting and the top of the joist, the flange that I place above the fitting will ultimately sit above the level of the floor (and thus the toilet will sit off the floor). Can I cut down the cuff of the elbow so it sits lower, and then cut some of the cuff of the flange off to narrow the gap and allow the flange to sit at floor level?

Plumbing 3.jpg

worsnup

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
a few more pics could help
i would flip the street 90s and go with a hub flange
if the back wall is at the top of the pic
then maybe a 45 with a 45 flange
hard to say

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, you can not cut the fitting. reverse them so that the street is pointing up and use a female flange.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There could be several ways to do it without cutting off anything. A "spigot" flange, a 4x3 spigot closet bend (which is the way I ALWAYS do it), or a street elbow and a hub flange are three possibilities.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks