Sump pump and Rain down spout drainage.

Users who are viewing this thread

ThePhanatic

Reaction score
Hell All,
When we bought our house in 2005 the sump was connected 2 feet away directly into the waste line of the house. Our inspector said it was not acceptable and the prior owners had a plumber come and run it outside and tied it into the roof downspout run off. (See Pic)
35332_407737265974_567945974_4586114_3907770_n.jpg
<P>

Initially this was fine.
I have since placed material under the deck to maintain a dry storage area under the deck.
Worked well until a heavy rainstorm.

What happened was the rain water off the roof and the sump pump all going together created a back up of that drain and it forced the water back out into that area where the plumber connected the downspout and drain pipe.

In addition, we were getting a pretty sizeable pool forming along side the house on the other side of that deck wall along the house. There are two parts to this.
One is another down spout that just ends there, and the other I found by running a hose to the dry well and seeing what happened after about 10 minutes. It pooled in that area. So not necessarily related to the downspout.
I nicely dug around that area and found the PVC had been cracked, by roots or something.
Maybe an old garden fence post.

Reagrdless, I planned to have that small (5 inch) section replaced/repaired.
I ran my garden hose directly into that pipe and it ran for a few minutes before backing up, so may be just one of those dry drainage systems with gravel rocks etc.

My next question is about the backing up.
Once I have that little broken section, should I look to have that sump pump water redirected somewhere else?
See pic for current scene and the yellow is there the pipe currently is...
34370_407738560974_567945974_4586140_8242342_n.jpg

I also considered using this 55 gallon collection drump in this area for rain water, That would eliminate the overflow from that one downspout.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

ThePhanatic

Reaction score
Update

OK, The 3" drain pipe that was cracked and leaking has been replaced.

My question remains.

Should I route the sump pump into another location?
Possibly an alternate to where the rain spout run off is now?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks