Fluid Master 400a Loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Rldev

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I just replaced the fill mechanism of an old Kohler one piece toilet with a Fluid Master 400a. The toilet is not very loud when filling up. I have tried adjusting the water supply, but it is loud or acceptable but takes a very long time to fill the tank. Fluid Master is a good pruduct, right? Anything I can try?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i just replaced my 2 f. masters with Korky quiet fills

they are very quiet, and i notice the flush handle takes very little pressure to flush. i,m staying with Korkys from now on

korky-quietfill-p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I go through cases of Fluidmaster400A's a year and no callbacks, ever. Sounds like you possibly have high water pressure. Check to see what it is. Fluidmaster is the best selling fill valve out there. Kohler toilets basically are equipped with a 400A with their house brand tag on them. Those Korky's are good as well but I would determine water pressure before making any choice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use both the Fluidmaster 400A and the Korky Quietfill for replacement valves.

Fluidmaster 400A
Easy to install
Easy to adjust
Easy to find, found in all hardware stores.

Korky Quietfill
Easy to install
Almost as easy to adjust
(There is a plastic key that locks the adjustment, once you figure out this simple thing it's easy)
Quieter
Less water hammer.
Found in most, not all hardware stores

Rldev

Reaction score
What tool can I purchase to determine water pressure. I have a few areas I would actually like to measure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I just replaced the fill mechanism of an old Kohler one piece toilet with a Fluid Master 400a. The toilet is not very loud when filling up. I have tried adjusting the water supply, but it is loud or acceptable but takes a very long time to fill the tank.

Either it is "not very loud when filling up" or it is "loud or acceptable", which? If it is slow to fill and loud, you have something caught in the system creating a slow fill and turbulence causing the loud whistle.

cn90

Reaction score
Use Fluidmaster W43C!!!

Sorry to re-activate the old thread but I have been using the 400A valve: it is noisy!!!

So I called Fluidmaster HQ in California, they say the Kohler Fill Valve "Ingenium" is the same as Fluidmaster W43C. "W" stands for "Whisper". The W43C has a Rubber Flow Restrictor at the bottom of the Inlet Shank. Otherwise both 400A and W43C are essentially the same.

For now, only Home Depot sells this W43C Valve for $9.50 (a flap is also included in the package).

I just swapped the 400A for the W43C, wow.......BIG difference! Nice and quiet as brand new!
You might want to turn the Toilet Shut-Off Valve down a bit until you are happy with the noise.

Hope this helps!

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Use the Pro 45-B

Fluidmaster makes a fill valve with a brass shank called the 'Pro 45-B' that is almost identical to the 400A. It is much more quiet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks