(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: screw hole in copper pipe

Default screw hole in copper pipe

Hi,

I was putting a plywood sub floor down today in my entrance way on top of plank flooring and screwing the plywood down. When I was finish I proudly looked at my work. Thinking I was getting closer to laying down my tiles. Then I looked at my raditors and was hoping I was not all that dumb, unforunatly I was, removed the questionable screw was greeted by a shower.

I have now drained the heating system(thank goodness it is summer) and have removed the new plywood and have a small hole in the inch coffer pipe. Is their some sort of patch I can put over the hole or would I have to have the pipe cut out and new piece put in its place. If I have to remove the pipe I will have to pull up some of the plank subfloor.

Jackie

A copper slip coupling will fix it right up. they come in many sizes.Name:  slp coup.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  4.6 KB
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Slip coupling is the answer. There is no satisfactory patch which can be applied to the outside, notwithstanding the claims of Billy Mays.

A slip coupling is the best, but I have brazed the hole closed when cutting it was not an option.

I'll deny it in a court of law but I have "soldered" up a hole or two in my time. all in heat pipes, not water
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Blog Entries

An optional "Quick Fix without fully cutting the pipe"

is to cut a slip fitting in half and create a saddle, clean and debur the saddle , solder the saddle over the small screw hole with the proper flux and solder.

They also make a "Powerseal Repair Clamp" type product for ths but may not fit under the plywood properly.
    Kevin

To do that properly, cut it OFF CENTER, so you create a piece with a slight "C" appearance. That will "snap" onto the pipe and create the pressure necessary to make the tight fit a proper solder joint requires.