Washing Machine/Toilet setup? Illinois Plumbing Code

Users who are viewing this thread

James157

Reaction score
Hello, if this question has been previously asked and answered, please let me know and point me in the right direction.

Basically, I am moving into an apartment with 2 bedrooms. The bedroom we are going to use as storage has an attached half-bathroom (toilet and small sink). I would like to somehow use this bathroom as a washer/dryer room.

Since I'm renting I don't want to plumb.

I have had some ideas on how to do this:

- Have the washing machine drain directly into the toilet tank with the toilet water off and the tank water valve removed (this toilet will not be used for other purposes).

- Buy some kind of large plastic washer's sink drain to that and have that drain into the toilet or sink.

- Remove toilet and somehow convert that drain into a drain for the washer.

I would be buying a high-effeciency washer in hopes of lessening the flow of water out.

Please, if you have any advice.. chime in. BTW, my landlord doesn't care, and the condo association does not prohibit this. The only thing is that if I do any plumbing wihtin the walls, I need their permission.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about using the toilet itself, but removing the toilet and converting the toilet drain probably would be unworkable. You would have to have a trap and vent and somehow adapt the toilet flange to the trap, vent and standpipe. The sink will not work, the drain is too small and the holding capacity of the sink is not large enough. Perhaps some of the pros will have some more positive suggestions, but it think you are not going to make a workable drain for the washer given the restrictions on breaking into the wall or floor.

James157

Reaction score
I don't know about using the toilet itself, but removing the toilet and converting the toilet drain probably would be unworkable. You would have to have a trap and vent and somehow adapt the toilet flange to the trap, vent and standpipe. The sink will not work, the drain is too small and the holding capacity of the sink is not large enough. Perhaps some of the pros will have some more positive suggestions, but it think you are not going to make a workable drain for the washer given the restrictions on breaking into the wall or floor.

Thanks Gary. I appreciate the post. I might not be able to do this at all, and I understand that. Just exploring my options.

Any thoughts in my idea of draining INTO the toilet tank and just letting it flow through the toilet? I mean, my tought process was that since a high-efficiency washer uses approx 25 gallons per wash, and the tank holds about 4 gallons, that the tank drainage + 4 gallon tank would be able to accomodate the 12 gallons or so that would be expelled by the washing machine (once at wash, noce at rinse to simplify things).

I am by no means a plumber and if my ideas sound just utterly ridicoulus, please experts, let me know. I am a complete newbi in this complicated field.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks