Do all new toilets leave "skid marks"? Our Toto does. Advice on another model?

Users who are viewing this thread

seachick

Reaction score
We bought a Toto Aquia III last year for our master bathroom. It LOOKS great, and is very comfortable, and never clogs. But my DH really hates the "skid marks".

We'll be purchasing another toilet for our hall bathroom this fall, and I need recommendations. I need to stay under $250, ideally less than that. I have spent hours researching this on this forum and others, and the 3 toilets that seem to keep coming up are Kohler Cimmaron, AS Cadet 3, and Toto Drake. But I read horrible things about the Cadet's defects and the splashing it does on flushing, so I think I ruled that one out. Cimmaron also is not top of my list.

We had Kohler Wellworths (circa late 90s/early 2000s) in our old house, and they both performed perfectly well and were cheap. My husband is saying, "Let's just get another one of those!" What's the story with those? I never hear about them in "What's the best budget toilet?" threads....

From my point of view, I would like:
~ Good flushing, skid marks as minimized as possible!!
~ Compact elongated (small bathroom!)
~ Would definitely prefer skirted but realize that's probably not an option in my budget
~ Under $250
~ Good design, good aesthetics, more sleek/modern than traditional if possible.

So are "skid marks" just a function of the new, low-water-use toilets? Are they unavoidable? Even if so, I expect some toilets are better for this than others, right? Our Toto Aquia III has a VERY small water spot...

Thank you, toilet gurus!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My Cadet 3 does not do too bad with this and I am prone to the same problem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may want to look at this...
http://www.totousa.com/WhyTOTO/Innovation/CEFIONTECT.aspx

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
CEFIONTECT or any other smooth glossing surface on a toilet will NOT prevent skid marks. It will however make them easier to clean off with either a toilet brush or just the water with the bowl rinse.

I suggest you purchase a toilet brush if you are truly happy with everything about your toilet except the marks.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For your existing Aquia, if you can still find it, Chlorox made a toilet bowl cleaning product with Teflon in it and it works.

For your new toilet, take a look at the Toto Ultramax II. I have 2 of them. They use Toto's "cyclone flush" bowl rinse so skid marks not usually a problem, especially in combination with CEFIONTECT. It will be a bit over your budget, but you really don't want to get a toilet that's going to keep clogging on you.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 3,623
Last edited:

CarlH

Reaction score
I think that the skid marks with the Aquia comes with the having a dual flush Toto and probably any other dual flush. The Drake would be better since it has a larger water spot than the dual flush models. We have an occasional skid mark in our Drakes that flushing does not solve. We also have a AS Cadet pressure assist model that has almost zero problems with skid marks due to its large water spot. The only problem with the AS Cadet PA is the noise. If you are trying to conserve water and want a decent performing toilet, the Eco Drake might be a good choice. I would expect it to be better than the Aquia.

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
This is all great info, folks... keep it coming!

I agree/understand about the CEFIONTECT feature. Unfortunately the Toto Ultramax would be perfect but is just not in the budget...

CarlH- between your Toto Drake and AS Cadet, which do you prefer? I will look into the Cadet Pressure Assist: we were looking at the Cadet 3, I think. Does the PS help with skids marks? How much more pricey is it? I heard the Cadet 3 splashes water out when flushing: gross! Maybe that person had some sort of weird defect though?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may want to avoid the pressure assisted toilet...
They are a bit loud...
Sometimes splash a bit...
And the can be a little expensive on parts...
Lets just say $40 my cost for a handle didn't impress me...

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
OK, the Cadet PS won't work because it's too long... I need a "compact elongated". So I think, of the Cadets, that means only the Cadet 3 works... right? So, anyone with that model care to comment on performance, skid marks, splashing, defects re level/glazing, and noise? Especially versus the Toto Drake II collection? My favorite-looking model would be the Gwyneth/Vespin one, the sleeker tank which has "double cyclone" and bowl with CEFIONTECT. That's about $300 on line.
Versus the Cadet 3 Flowise $189
Studio Cadet 3 $224
one-piece Compact Cadet 3 $356

Ther regular Cadet 3 is the only one in my price range, but maybe I have to stretch. Anyone have any other options for me to consider?

SamC

Reaction score
We have the CEFIONTECT version of the Drake II, and like it very well. The combination of "double cyclone" and CEFIONTECT keeps it very clean, even with the low-volume 1.28 gallon flush. If the Drake II's elongated bowl will absolutely not fit, the Drake and Eco-Drake are available in round front.

Last edited:

CarlH

Reaction score
CarlH- between your Toto Drake and AS Cadet, which do you prefer?
I prefer the Drake. The noise from the pressure assist can be a problem and the primary reason why I would not recomend it. I installed the Cadet PA first and then the Drakes. My next one will probably be a Drake too.

I installed a Cadet 3 at my FIL's house and thought that it performed a lot like the Drake. It is cheaper than the Drake. In my opinion it looks cheap. I don't know if it is the styling, the cheap looking flush handle, or all of the above. Based upon reports here, if you stick with the Cadet 3, inspect it for defects before you leave the store. It could save you a potential return later.

As far as budgeting goes, I justify the extra cost by the fact that this is a fixture that is used multiple times a day. How much do you spend on items that you occasionally use? Depending on what it is replacing, how much it is used, if you are on municipal water, and by going with the 1.28 flush, the extra money spent may be made up by the money saved in the water bill.

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly leaning towards the Drake now (Toto CST454CEFG ). It's $300 vs the $190 Cadet 3. Looks are important to me, and I suspect I will not like the Cadet in person. I definitely don't want it to look cheap. If performance is the same between these two, and there's nothing else I should be considering in the under-$300 range, then I'll probably spring the extra $110 for the Toto. I'll skimp on tile, instead :)

SteveRbm

Reaction score
Low Flush does not mean you have to have "skid marks"

I'm sorry I couldn't have posted this 6 months ago. Hopefully someone else can benefit from what I have found. I've been looking at getting a new low flush toilet for my home for a while now. At work, they had put in new commercial noisy units. I noticed very quickly that they are prone to skid-marks. I did not want this effect at home.

As of July 2010 Costco was selling two models of a dual low flush 4/6L.
- A one piece designer "new" style (14.75" tall - floor to bowl seat)
- A two piece older style (16.5" tall)

A friend installed a Costco new style unit. From his feedback, there were skid-marks. "They go away after a few flushes".
I ended up getting the two piece unit, so far not a mark to been seen.

After closer inspection, this is what I have determined.
The lower profile unit has a shallow amount of water in the bowl. As well, the outlet is at the very back of the bowl. Things have to be dragged to leave the bowl.
The two piece is almost 2" taller. This allows deeper water in the bowl. The outlet is also more central to the drop zone. No drop and drag :)

I almost forget, it was only $85 and in my humble opinion it does look cheap either.

So if you don't want skid marks and you don't mind a slightly higher seat, this it the type to go with.

Attachments

• Compair.jpg
    Compair.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 5,755

SteveRbm

Reaction score
Oops, I meant to say, it does NOT look cheap. Also, the picture is showing the two different toilets to show where their exits are.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's mainly diet.
Some people never has that issue, some do. Eating chocolate is not real helpful. I don't know what is in the stuff, but it does something.

Toto also makes double cyclone models with CEFIONTECT that work just fine. A little more water in the bowl, a very smooth bowl finish and a swirling rinse.
Kohler has some models with the century old 2" flush valve and a swirling rinse that is pretty good for that. The new Wellworth and the Cimarron no longer have the swirl and bowl rinse is not so good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks