How do I replace a cast iron flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

dy

Reaction score
How do I replace a cast iron flange? It is welded on I think. I removed the screws and it of course didnt come off. I have a new PVC one, but not sure how to get this flange off. The bolts are corroded and old and just keep spinning, so I need to replace it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have a plumber break the old one off and install a new CAST IRON one. The PVC one will NOT WORK. But if the bolts are spinning, you need new bolts, NOT a new flange.

dy

Reaction score
I got new bolts, and they keep spinning too. I dont think they are the right size , or do they have different sizes? they were the standard ones that come in with the wax ring.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally use a washer and nut to secure the closet bolt to the flange.
The hardware stores make you buy two sets, or look in the isle for more 1/4 20 nuts and washers.

We sell our customers the bags with four nuts and washers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally they do not spin because they have "oval" heads which fit into a recess on the bottom of the flange, but most of us secure the bolts to the flange with a nut and washer. It makes it easier to remove the next time, because the bolt CANNOT spin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks