Just moved and reinstalled Culligan Mark 100 and Have Some Resin in Backwash

Users who are viewing this thread

jkmason

Reaction score
I just retired my old Culligan Mark 59 Aqua Sensor which I have had since 1984. I replaced it with a used Mark 100. I picked it up across town and transported it to my home about 35 Miles laying down in my backseat.

After installation, I ran a manual regeneration cycle. I noticed a lot of flakes (rust colored) and I think some resin; a very fine gritty sandy material coming out the discharge tube. I've never handled resin, so I don't really know what it looks like.

Anyway, it is hooked up correctly; in is in and out is out. The amount of material coming out is very sparse and it appears to have diminished during the second regeneration cycle. So, is this normal? Anything I should watch out for or any corrective action to take. Thanks for any replies! Jack

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you just turned on the water full and started it into a back wash , with the air that is in there there is going to be some resin blown out of the unit.
Look for high level in the brine tank , or no brine usage... injector plugged, look for water to the drain when it should be in service, sign that there is some thing in the main piston that should not be and letting water go to the drain.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I just retired my old Culligan Mark 59 Aqua Sensor which I have had since 1984. I replaced it with a used Mark 100. I picked it up across town and transported it to my home about 35 Miles laying down in my backseat.

After installation, I ran a manual regeneration cycle. I noticed a lot of flakes (rust colored) and I think some resin; a very fine gritty sandy material coming out the discharge tube. I've never handled resin, so I don't really know what it looks like.
That is due to laying it down and getting resin up in the control valve. But if it continues, then you have something else wrong, like a broken distributor tube; which could lead to resin in your plumbing or hard water.

jkmason

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice and help. I initiated another regeneration and noticed a very tiny bit of resin during the tail end of the cycle. I held my hand under the hose outlet. It couldn't ahve been more than 1/2 teaspoon. The unit sucked up the brine just fine and then did the final flush. I think I'm good to go. I hope so anyway. Thanks again, jack

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks