(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Just moved and reinstalled Culligan Mark 100 and Have Some Resin in Backwash

Default Just moved and reinstalled Culligan Mark 100 and Have Some Resin in Backwash

I just retired my old Culligan Mark 59 Aqua Sensor which I have had since 1984. I replaced it with a used Mark 100. I picked it up across town and transported it to my home about 35 Miles laying down in my backseat.

After installation, I ran a manual regeneration cycle. I noticed a lot of flakes (rust colored) and I think some resin; a very fine gritty sandy material coming out the discharge tube. I've never handled resin, so I don't really know what it looks like.

Anyway, it is hooked up correctly; in is in and out is out. The amount of material coming out is very sparse and it appears to have diminished during the second regeneration cycle. So, is this normal? Anything I should watch out for or any corrective action to take. Thanks for any replies! Jack

Sounds like you just turned on the water full and started it into a back wash , with the air that is in there there is going to be some resin blown out of the unit.
    Look for high level in the brine tank , or no brine usage... injector plugged, look for water to the drain when it should be in service, sign that there is some thing in the main piston that should not be and letting water go to the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmason View Post
    I just retired my old Culligan Mark 59 Aqua Sensor which I have had since 1984. I replaced it with a used Mark 100. I picked it up across town and transported it to my home about 35 Miles laying down in my backseat.

After installation, I ran a manual regeneration cycle. I noticed a lot of flakes (rust colored) and I think some resin; a very fine gritty sandy material coming out the discharge tube. I've never handled resin, so I don't really know what it looks like.
    That is due to laying it down and getting resin up in the control valve. But if it continues, then you have something else wrong, like a broken distributor tube; which could lead to resin in your plumbing or hard water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thank you so much for the advice and help. I initiated another regeneration and noticed a very tiny bit of resin during the tail end of the cycle. I held my hand under the hose outlet. It couldn't ahve been more than 1/2 teaspoon. The unit sucked up the brine just fine and then did the final flush. I think I'm good to go. I hope so anyway. Thanks again, jack

You may have higher water pressure than the location the softener was used in before and then this is normal for a softener without a top basket. If that is the case, then this will stop soon.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.