(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Are Flexible Lines Against Code In Michigan For Water Heaters? IPC 2006

Hybrid View

Default Are Flexible Lines Against Code In Michigan For Water Heaters? IPC 2006

I'm considering replacing my HW Tank (40 gal), but only if I can convert the rigid copper water lines and galvanized gas line to flexible. I was told by someone that flex lines are against code in Michigan. Does anyone know for sure if they are, and if so, why?

IPC 2006 and Michigan Plumbing Code 2006

I believe you MUST use flex lines in other states, like California, so how could it be AGAINST code in Michigan?
    Last edited by Terry; 07-02-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Some codes are fond of hard pipe...for many reasons, which may include union influence. Don't know MI. Do you have earthquakes??

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

It is against code to use a flexible gas line in Maryland for a WH because we do not get earthquakes.

I had to change mine back to ridig black iron pipe because of this.

I like the unions. They maintain workers' rights which are often sadly lacking in this country.

Check your locally used plumbing code.

There was an earthquake in Canada recently that was felt in Michigan, but we don't get many.

As for the plumbing code, I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find where they either permitted or prohibited the use of flex lines. That is why I asked the question.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Call your local plumbing inspector, ask him or her. They will be more than happy to tell you what is required to change out your water heater. Here in Illinois it is code to hard pipe the water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I like the unions. They maintain workers' rights which are often sadly lacking in this country.
    Yep, they are getting a bad rep these days while big money is using illegal labor to force the unions out. Union representation is down to 7% from a high of 30%.

This is why the Repubs don't want immigration reform, they can pay them what ever they want while their illegal since they're afraid to complain or ask for a fair wage. If Congress would pass immigration reform, the illegals would become legal and we'd all make a fair wage (no more cheap labor pool).

SewerRatz has the best answer to the original question. Local regulations trump everything else. Flex lines vs hard plumbing seem to be very much locally legislated. Some places require flex, other require hard plumbing. We can debate and argue both sides of the issue, but in the end it is local rules that must be followed.

I just thought that there might be a plumber or inspector from MI on this site who would chime in...