(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Program Cole and Massey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    I recommend you use the following settings:

Backwash: 10 min
    Brine/slow rinse: 45 minutes
    Fast rinse: 3 minutes
    Brine fill: 3 minutes (assumes salt dose of 4.5 lbs, capacity of 15K, and BLFC of 0.5 gpm)
    The backwash is too long for hardness only (no iron) and for a .75 cuft of resin.

Also, if needed, have you calculated a reserve capacity?

What if any calendar override should he use?

The two back to back regenerations must be done with no water use during or between them.

Two hours is sufficient for the brine refill water to produce brine. Starting the first regen at roughly 7:15pm and you will have the first finished by 9pm+/- add the water to the salt tank and then set the 2nd regen to start at 2am. That reduces the length of time of no water use to just the evening. Rather than adding the refill water by hand (for 12 lbs of salt) you can change the salt dose for 12 lbs (4 gals or 8 minutes) before starting the first regen.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

So here are my current settings:

Capacity: 19 (base off of 24k max cap. X 80%)...I guess.
    Backwash: 8 minutes
    Brine Draw/Slow Rinse: 50 minutes
    Rapid Rinse: 4 minutes
    Brine Tank Fill: 4 minutes

Are these settings acceptable or is there a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by rookws View Post
    So here are my current settings:

Capacity: 19 (base off of 24k max cap. X 80%)...I guess.
    Backwash: 8 minutes
    Brine Draw/Slow Rinse: 50 minutes
    Rapid Rinse: 4 minutes
    Brine Tank Fill: 4 minutes

Are these settings acceptable or is there a better option?
    You can't get 24K with 4 minutes of refill time and the lbs of salt that produces. You need 12lbs of salt to get 24K in a 3/4 cuft softener so you have to set the refill time accordingly. But then you get very poor salt efficiency.

Why a 20% reserve? Why not use one day's total grains? Remember that you have to have the salt dose to get 24K to then have 19K.

You don't understand how this all goes together yet. Visit the sizing link in my signature.

Why do you think 8 minutes backwash and 50 minutes of brine draw/slow rinse for a 3/4 cuft softener? Both are too high.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I have no idea what to think which is why I'm asking.

These settings are pre-existing. I haven't touched a thing. I just recently learned how to access these settings and some formulas you all gave me. So I'm trying to combine all the information you given and set up this water softener appropriately.

But I don't want to tweak anything until I feel the settings are feasible which I'm relying on your help for that.

Those of us that have been dealing with systems for years have different settings for different units. The water around me is not all the same, thus each unit has different settings for the water and people that it is dealing with.

Very true.

With said then I will go w/the recommended settings you have stated before of:

Backwash: 10 min
    Brine/slow rinse: 45 minutes
    Fast rinse: 3 minutes
    Brine fill: 3 minutes (assumes salt dose of 4.5 lbs, capacity of 15K, and BLFC of 0.5 gpm)

Then I will make adjustments accordingly to get my desired results. In the long run it sounds as though I may need to get a bigger setup then what I have. Till then I'll make do w/what I have.

Thanks for all your suggestions and guidence. I will continued to reserach and learn this system. I know where to go if I get in a jam.

Again, thanks for all the help you guys have done. I wish the best of success for this forum which is pretty cool.

I say go for the high salt and water efficiency and see if that gives you 0 gpg soft and iron free water (which is the only way any softener should work), and if not, then change it until it does.

Setting it as has been suggested and having satisfactory water quality is going to increase your salt and water use making the system more inefficient. No? And AKvan is in Alaska where the water is much different than in the lower 48.

i have a Cole and Massey Model PM 45 water softener and i cant find the manual. where can i get one? i turned the control knob to flush and cannot get it back to "in serv" position. also want to consider changing to one that does not require salt. we are getting older and its harder to lift a 50 lb bag of salt....we switched to 40 lb bags, but they still a bit heavy since i had rota tor cuff surgery.

Photo of unit in question?