Do gas powered tankless heaters have the “flow control’ of “thermostatic†feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abraham

Reaction score
Hello to all, I am a first timer and after combing around a bit I have decided that this community seems quite a fitting venue for my predicament.

I have a rental property that I have been renovating for quite some time now and in the basement there are plans for a new kitchen and full bathroom. The bathroom and kitchen are to be directly adjacent to one another.

I want to have a separate or point of use water heating system to service the basement. I am leaning towards a tankless unit. I discussed the situation with a few local servicemen and I have received varying info.

All of them have suggested a unit with a flow rate capacity in the 4 to 5 GPM range. However some have suggested that I go with an electric powered unit, mainly b/c of a “flow control†feature that supposedly modulates the varying incoming flow rate in order to ensure an accurate out put temperature.

However others have suggested I go with a natural gas powered unit b/c of the additional efficiency and the fact that natural gas is available.

The “flow control†feature described to me seems very fitting for the type of application, and only a few electrical additions will be required since the basement was remodeled with a separate 200 amp circuit panel. But efficiency and comfort are one of the main selling points I wish to use when renting the property in the future, so I don’t want to rule out a gas powered tankless unit for the basement.

My question(s) is;

Does anyone know if gas powered models come equipped with similar “flow control†features? Or is this type of flow rate and/or power supply modulation unattainable with gas powered units?

When I have asked I received several confusing answers from several pros.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks