salt on concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I 've always heard that salt will destroy my concrete driveway and sidewalk. The other day a guy told me that table salt will destroy concrete, but rock salt will not. Is he right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Table salt is refined rock salt...neither is great on concrete.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are talking about ice, the dedicated ice melt products have less sodium chloride, and use a blend of calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and assorted wonder ingredients. They usually state that they are safe for concrete which is at least 1 year old...used in moderation.

The crumbling state of bridges etc in the northeast is due in part to all the salt used on the roads in years past. It got in, rusted the rebar, which spalled the concrete.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a concrete driveway that I have used ice melt products on for 25 years. I use it less now because I have a snow blower, but sometimes ice forms on the concrete and it is a real hazard, so I still use it some. The surface of the driveway is badly pitted. I am looking at resurfacing with asphalt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks