Basement bathroom venting in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

dodge1930

Reaction score
Adding bathroom in basement, existing first floor bathroom waste stack 3" comes down the wall and then 90 through the wall at 7" off the basement floor into the septic tank.

Toilet will be 4 ' from this pipe.
see attched photo.

Because of the main stack exiting through the wall I will need to have the bathroom floor built up, I'm trying to keep the height of the floor at a minimum.

Do I need to add venting to the toilet?

thanks

Attachments

• base_bathroom.JPG
    base_bathroom.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,517
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you are attempting spells out "hack job". Put in a sewage basin and pump and keep the toilet on the floor where it belongs.
If you can't manage that then at a minimum, put in a macerating toilet that will pump up and over to the existing line.

dodge1930

Reaction score
This is in a summer cottage, so I was trying to keep the cost down. The bathroom will be together with the laundry room so there will be a step up from the laundry area to the bathroom area, not the end of the world, and the basement ceiling is over 8 feet so no problem for head room.
I will be maintaining the correct slopes for all pipes.
Assuming then, that this was under the slab would the venting be correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once a pipe becomes a drain, it cannot be used as a vent. So, to do this, at least to US codes, you'd need to run a vent upstairs above the flood plane of the fixtures above and tie into those vents. If it is easier, you could run a new vent all the way up to the roof, but it is not required as long as it is tied into the pipe when it IS a vent.

To get the fall and then elbow to direct the toilet drain into your existing drain, the floor will need to be somewhere near a foot high. You'll be much better off putting in a sump and sewage ejector.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Adding bathroom in basement, existing first floor bathroom waste stack 3" comes down the wall and then 90 through the wall at 7" off the basement floor into the septic tank.

Toilet will be 4 ' from this pipe.
see attched photo.

Because of the main stack exiting through the wall I will need to have the bathroom floor built up, I'm trying to keep the height of the floor at a minimum.

Do I need to add venting to the toilet?

thanks

What is coming down that 2" line that seems to be coming from upstairs?

Also you'd need to tie the toilet in UPSTREAM of the 3" soil-or-waste stack going up to the 1st floor bathroom. If you managed to make a proper wet vent out of all of this stuff you could easily meet code requirements.

dodge1930

Reaction score
The 2" will vent straight up and out of the roof, because the other vent for the upstairs bathroom is on the other side of the cottage.
This shows the up stairs bathroom that ties into the 3" I was showing in the other picture, and this has it's own 2" vent going up through the roof. In this picture, the 3" will run through the floor joist , running under the shower location to the toilet, about 4' between shower and toilet, sink will be to the side of the toilet around 3-4 '
Thanks for eveyones suggestions...

Attachments

• bathroom.JPG
    bathroom.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,945
Last edited:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The 2" will vent straight up and out of the roof, because the other vent for the upstairs bathroom is on the other side of the cottage.
This shows the up stairs bathroom that ties into the 3" I was showing in the other picture, and this has it's own 2" vent going up through the roof. In this picture, the 3" will run through the floor joist , running under the shower location to the toilet, about 4' between shower and toilet, sink will be to the side of the toilet around 3-4 '
Thanks for eveyones suggestions...

So you're saying the 2" vent is nothing more then just a vent? Running from your basement straight up and out the roof?

And that picture of your upstairs bathroom doesn't matter. The toilet downstairs still needs to tie in UPSTREAM of where the bathroom is tied into the drainage downstairs.

dodge1930

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly, I tie in my upstairs bathroom closet point to where the pipe leaves the house, then behind that the downstairs toilet. Referencing the first picture of this post, I'm swapping the first two wyes originally I had outside of house - upstairs bathroom - downsatrs toilet....... this will change too outside of house - downstairs toilet - upstairs bathroom

Someone also suggested I use a 13L toilet downstairs to have more flow instead of a 4-6L one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks