Delta shower faucet hard to turn off

Users who are viewing this thread

jpgipson

Reaction score
I have a single handle Delta shower faucet that is giving me problems, and I need some advice. I am not sure of the model, but my home was built in 1995 and I have a picture of the faucet at http://home.hiwaay.net/~jgipson/faucet/faucet4.jpg. The problem I'm having is the faucet must be turned to the left (hot) side all the way down for the faucet to be completely off as shown in http://home.hiwaay.net/~jgipson/faucet/nodrip4.JPG. If the faucet is simply pushed down to the center position as shown in http://home.hiwaay.net/~jgipson/faucet/drip4.jpg, then the faucet drips. The faucet naturally goes to the center position when shut off, so you must remember to push it to the left and down for the faucet not to drip. :( What do I need to do to fix the problem? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

John

P.S. Sorry about the problems with the pics. The look fine on my PC, but everytime I would upload the pics, they would not display properly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The pictures show the problem just fine. What you have is a Delta ball-type shower valve, and it appears someone may have torqued the body, although the trim lines up. I am not sure if this can be fixed. It could be a defective ball, so the first thing to do is shut off the water, remove the handle and then disassemble the valve to replace the ball. Get a genuine Delta brand replacement. Possibly post a picture after you remove the handle and the chrome plate to see if we can spot something.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That is a Delta 600 series valve that can be troublesome over time and calcium buildup is most likely the reason the camber is tightening the movement of handle. USE PENETRATING OIL ON BONNET NUT. Wrap a rag around it for an hour or so to retain the fluid on the nut. Then takes 2 wrenches to remove that nut. One on the body and one on that nut. *You will probably damage the sleeve on the back side covering the body of valve.* If you don't back it up with a second wrench you will twist the 3 copper tubes holding the valve body. That will turn into a leak and now you will be replacing the valve completely, a bigger problem than what you started with. Follow the advice and use Delta parts only. Go to their website, contact tech support and they will send you all of those parts needed for free. Tell them you need a complete rebuild kit, bonnet nut (polished brass) and polished brass sleeve behind the bonnet nut. All of that would end up being under $100 if you bought it outright. Tell them to throw in a crystal handle too. :eek: :D

jpgipson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice jimbo and RUGGED. I have sent an email to Delta customer support. I will not begin the repair until the parts arrive.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

1995 faucets may not have been included in the "lifetime" guarantee. But you would still be better off calling a plumber. A good one, with experience with the valve will be able to disassemble it without damaging the piece in the wall.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
warranty parts

Delta is pretty good about warranty on defective partsonly...

they wont give you free parts for old worn out stuff
....been there and done that...

normal wear and tear is not included in their warranty...

also I foiund out that if you are not the original owner,
they dont warranty
second or third owners of the home....

just go out and buy what you need at a hardware store....

finding a 600 PB trim kit might be a problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rugged pretty much said it all---be careful not to literally

"strip the guts out" of your faucet....then you get to buy a

new one...

jpgipson

Reaction score
The only thing Delta sent me was replacement Seats and Springs (Part RP4993). I have never done a repair on a faucet this this, so I am going to take hj's advice a get a plumber to do the repair.

rp4993.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks