Plastic Pipe Insulators / Brackets thru Studs for Copper Pipe -- When Required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
I'm installing copper water lines, and I've noticed that the plumber who worked on other parts of my remodel used polyethylene "tube insulators" (as pictured below) in some instances, but not all.

Is there a general rule of thumb when these should be used? Are they ever required?

For instance, when running copper through a series of studs, would it be advisable to use one on each end? On every stud? Every third? Etc...

I really can't determine any rhyme or reason or pattern to what the plumber before me did.

For reference, here's the IPS version of the insulator I'm looking at:
http://www.ipscorp.com/watertite/pipesupports/pipeinsulators

PipeInsulator_CLR_82970.jpg

moserro

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is those brackets are just used to limit vibrations in areas where there are fast acting valves (like near a washing machine), or where the pipe runs through studs/joists and vibration can occur. Just use your discretion. If you think the pipe has a chance of vibrating and causing unwanted noise, use the insulator.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You don't need to support copper every 16".
You can skip studs. However many plumbers bang them in anyway.
If the holes are all in a straight line, then the skipped insulators aren't needed.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A lot of plumbers don't use them at all, but I don't like those creeping pipe callbacks. I would put them in the one of the best inventions of the past 50 years catagory.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The more places you attach a pipe to the framing, the louder it gets.
I don't use them on every hole for that reason. It's not to be cheap.
It's noise prevention.

Speede541

Reaction score
Thanks, gents. So I scattered 'em around to a handful of locations where I thought made sense, and will continue with that approach. Still can't make sense out of the what/where/why my plumber did before me, but oh well.

The screw holes seem superfluous since I have to pry these with a screwdriver to remove them, but since they're there, I guess I can burn a few more pennies driving anchors.

Speede541

Reaction score
The more places you attach a pipe to the framing, the louder it gets.
I don't use them on every hole for that reason. It's not to be cheap.
It's noise prevention.

Ah! So do you drill oversized holes through all the studs so the pipe makes zero contact, except for the holes which have an insulator?

DavidTu

Reaction score
Would one use these with PEX tubing as well? Any guidelines for PEX that differs from that given above for Copper?

DavidTu

Reaction score
So in summary, it sounds like the concensus is to use some sort of pipe insulator on ALL lines (not just fast-acting values) and to place either every stud/joist or every other. Yes?

Now to go slightly off topic... For floor penetrations, Uponor has a 1/2" metal straight-through support. Is that to be used on ALL lines as well? What exactly does this protect against? (It being metal it seems it would not be for movement as I presume it would chafe.) Is this installed on top of the sole/bottom plate of a wall or where?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Well, nere's a more fundamental question: When running hard copper pipe through the middle of a long wall, or (worse yet) a 1 1/2" or 2" ABS drain/vent line, how do you snake the rigid pipe down the line of holes in the studs? (I haven't actually tried this yet, I'm just wondering if it's as hard as it looks.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks