(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What is your preferred way to have a main supply drain?

Default What is your preferred way to have a main supply drain?

I recently had my lateral water main replaced with 1" copper. I was very happy with it, except they put a gate valve (I know, code) and just followed the goofy way my water supply was originally designed. I was going to take some time and straighten some things out, and figured I'd ask if there was a preferred way to set up the system so draining the water is neat and easy.

Thanks,
    Rob

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Actually usually code would require that you have a stop & drain valve for your water main shutoff just as it enters the house. But maybe not where you live I don't know.

But I usually just put in tee on the lowest piping that's easily accessible. Off the tee I put in a sediment faucet. This way you can kill the water and open some faucets or tub valves throughout the house and then open the sediment faucet and easily control the draining of the water. You can drain it it a bucket or you can use a hose and run the hose to a floor drain if there is one near by. Etc.

Would you choose a low point that was only a 1/2" pipe? Is it a given that a higher amount of sediment would collect at a low point? Or does the flow direction of the water disperse sediment equally to all of the outlets in the system?

I'm asking because I've been draining my system regularly, and coincidentally, I'm at a point in my project where I'm working at my low point in the system.

Is what you call a "sediment faucet" anything special? Or just a standard hose bib used as a low point drain?