Brass P-Trap to Cast Iron DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

What is the correct way of joining brass to a cast iron stack? Does the connection from a sink P-trap (brass) to cast iron need to be dielectric? My condo is in a high-rise type building, so code states that a PVC trap isn't an option for me.

Also, does cast iron dwv frequently have either 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 inlets? I had been looking at the Kohler K-8998 but need to check to see if the pipe's opening is larger than 1 1/4.

Thanks,
Derek

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
please post some pics it will help us see what you are trying to do.
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Hi Ron -

The wall's pretty much closed up now, so I don't think I'd be able to get anything to come out clearly. I think the installation is pretty standard though. It's a 4" CI stack that runs up through the 7 floors of an apartment-type building. The pipe has a female threaded inlet for the sink drain, which was temporarily capped with PVC when the old sink vanity came out.

I want to install a chromed brass 1 1/4 P-trap to the cast iron, and know that copper 1/4 sweat to MIP adapters exist, but am I going to run into corrosion issues due to the different metals being in contact?

Thanks for the help,
Derek

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks for the help.

Do they make the adapters I'm looking for in brass, or is copper the way to go?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I think this is what you need

Query

That comes with a chrome lock-nut it's 1 1/2 male by 1 1/4 compression

Last edited:

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Hi -

Yeah, I think it's something like that. That's a slip fit though, right? My P-trap is brass.

-Derek

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a 1 1/2" x whatever galv nipple from ci drain out to your brass p-trap
THIS HAS BEEN PLUMBING CODE IN CITY OF L. A.

Last edited by a moderator:

jlsddmar

Reaction score
Hi Jerry -

How is the brass connected to the galvanized? The P-trap isn't threaded. I was anticipating screwing the threads into the CI and then sweating the P-trap on.

Thanks,
Derek

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks