Can I replace an old Friedrich wall AC unit with a new Frigidaire wall unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pickngrin

Reaction score
We've got an old Friedrich QuietMaster wall AC unit (I'm guessing about 18K BTU ?) that appears to have kicked the bucket today -- it's not blowing cold air anymore. I've never dealt with wall units before and would like to know if I can replace this unit with any wall unit that has dimensions the same size or smaller than the existing sleeve. Or would this involve having a new sleeve installed?

Thanks

Last edited:

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Recommend that you check the amp draw, voltage, and recommended fuse size before you purchase. Don't know if you have a heatpump with aux heat strips or no aux. electric heat, staignt cool with no heat or straight cool with heat.
The sleeve size would have to be your call.
The other main thing is that the new HVAC cabinet will fit in your existing wall sleeve.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Friedrich still makes wall units, and probably has a line that is an exact match for your sleeve. Friedrich is a solid brand in air conditioners, Frigidaire is probably made by the lowest bidder in china. I have found frigidaire quality to be average at best.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Thanks. I looked further into this today, and unfortunately there is no exact fit for my old unit (SL19H30), as they have apparently reduced the size of the chassis. Apparently, there is no good solution to this problem. I was ready to spring for a new Friedrich until I found out that it is not an exact fit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The question becomes whether it is easier to make the opening larger or fill in the gap to use a smaller unit. Sometimes you may have to do both if the width and height make it necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks