Rainbird1800 sprinkler heads along sidewalk

Users who are viewing this thread

vaman

Reaction score
Part of our irrigation system has a series of Rainbird 1800 spray heads that throw water across a sidewalk to hit some shrubs. The shrubs do get watered and I adjusted the AP heads so there is a direct spry but I there is a fair amount hitting the sidewalk. If I simply replace them with another 1800 that is taller would that work or am I asking for trouble? What do pros do when designing for such a situation?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The only way I know to fix that problem is design the system so that sprinkler heads don't throw water over a sidewalk. That's against code in at least some areas, like mine.

If you don't want to tunnel the water supply under the sidewalk, might consider switching to Hunter MP rotator heads. They are the size of spray heads, and in fact you can use your existing spray head body and just buy MP nozzles. They put out multiple streams at a time, and rotate slowly, so are able to spray water further than spray heads. They also put water down much slower than spray heads, so you get less runoff. You can see them on Hunter's web site.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
What do pros do when designing for such a situation?

You really didn't give us much to work with. A pro would at least have some dimensions to work with. How big is the area that you want watered? Is that area the one that's on the other side of the sidewalk? Do you have an existing zone on the other side of the sidewalk? Do you know if when they poured the sidewalk they placed a transport pipe to the boulevard?

Is the sidewalk along the street, or leading up to your front door?

Mick

Last edited:

tomm

Reaction score
So the heads throw across the sidewalk? and you want to prevent the sidewalk from getting wet?

I want to buy some gold at the price it was selling for some 5 or 6 years ago. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks