(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Leak From Solenoid

Default Leak From Solenoid

Hi All,
    I am a new homeowner having to deal with a sprinkler system for the first time. I have done some research but can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I have a slow leak coming out from where the solenoid is screwed in to one of my valves. I thought there might be a crack in the old solenoid so I bought a replacement, but the leak is still there. At this point I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar

You could have a small crack in the valve housing, or you could have debris in the threads of the solinoid. Are you sure it's the solimoid that is leaking?

Mick

Could possibly be the o-ring as well- I've seen them go bad from time to time.

There should be an "O" ring under the solenoid, but often when the solenoid is removed it gets lost. If it is there, then there is no reason for the solenoid to leak unless the valve body is cracked.

Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    There should be an "O" ring under the solenoid, but often when the solenoid is removed it gets lost. If it is there, then there is no reason for the solenoid to leak unless the valve body is cracked.
    Or you could also need just a touch of silacone grease on the o-ring. Make sure that the solinoid threads are clean and grit free also. The silacone grease tends to attract dist and grit when the solinoid is being re-o-ringed.

If the leak is coming from on top, where the wires are, the solinoid will have to be replaced.

Mick

why not post a picture or make/model of the valve. How can any one offer a defintive answer reading your non descriptive post.