Circuits are testing way over voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Using a Multimeter to check voltages at my receptacles, I have found that no matter what outlet I check, I am getting 159.6v. I checked my 110/120v circuits at the breaker box and they are registering the same thing. Each side of my 220/240v circuits are doing the same. I did this about 6 - 8 years ago and they were all running at 119.4 to 121.5. I did this with a second multimeter thinking the other may be bad, but the same numbers are coming up. I recently had to troubleshoot the 220/240v live to the A/C compressor and each side came up at 123.2v. I noticed that the transformer on our power pole seems to hum louder (very noticeable) than I think it should. So far, I have had no appliance problems. Lights seem to be normal brightness.

Anyone think that transformer is ready to go and would this cause this overvoltage?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem with the neutral. This can burn out electrical and electronic things quickly...I'd unplug anything you can live without and call for help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What does the voltage read on the 240v. terminals? If that is also too high, you may have a problem with the utility's power feed. If it is normal, then you have an internal wiring problem, although I cannot see how the secondary circuits could be 160v when the utility only provides 120 to each leg of the power line.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Guys thanks, but I think this is a case of Multimeter operator malfunction (ME) than an electrical problem. It was combination of weak battery and just me being a dope. Thanks!

I really need a brain transplant. Mine's defective.

New battery and the receptacles test at 122.5. The 220's test at 123.4.
Just.....like......... they did while ago.

&$^#$^#^%&%&%#!!!! That battery was only a month and half old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks