New house water line questions

Users who are viewing this thread

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
I am having a new house built(3 bed 2 bath) for a family of 5. Its 800' from my house to the county road rural water line. My question is what is the best water line for me to run myself(meaning price, ease of installation, cost, gopher proof, and size)? I am also running a water line from my water well up to the house(1000') for irrigation only(pool, sprinklers,) What do you recommend for piping? Thanks

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Probably the black poly pipe that comes in a roll. I would run 1 inch. Some new softeners have 1 inch coonections. You could then reduce to 3/4 or half after that. The new stuff might have a wire in it for Bluestake Purposes/ Utility location in the future. But you might have to tape a wire to it. This pipe uses ribbed fittings that are a bear to push in the pipe. Some silicone grease will be helpfull here and then you tighten hose clamps on it to hold it. You might want to backfill with sand around it at first then the dirt. Rocks will rub holes in it from earth movement. You might be able to use a pex type pipe but unsure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standard 2 bath home is 23.5 fixture units in the UPC code book.
At 800 feet, you need a 1-1/4" line for 19 units, and 1-1/2" gets you 34 units.

3/4" is good for 3 units at 800 feet,
and 1" is good for 9 units.

If this were my home, I would gbe running 1-1/2"
I lived in a home for a while with a 3/4" line running 250 feet. Even with 72 PSI, there wasn't much to go around.
And irrigation? it wouldn't run the heads at 250 feet.
We changed out the pipe to 1.5" and the irrigation worked after that.
I can't even imagine how bad 800 would be.
At 250 feet using 3/4" we only had 9 fixtues units to use. Not so good for a three bath home that should be been sized for 34 units.

https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

[video=youtube;UBXmqzBs-ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXmqzBs-ng[/video]

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I am having a new house built(3 bed 2 bath) for a family of 5. Its 800' from my house to the county road rural water line. My question is what is the best water line for me to run myself(meaning price, ease of installation, cost, gopher proof, and size)? I am also running a water line from my water well up to the house(1000') for irrigation only(pool, sprinklers,) What do you recommend for piping? Thanks
I would get two 1000 ft rolls of 200 psi rated polyethylene pipe and four SS barbed/insert fittings, one for each end of the two continuous runs. I would go at least 1.25" and 1.5" would be better for possible future volume needs.

Keep it off rocks and rocks off it as you back fill.

You unroll it as you walk along the ditch and let it weave from one side to the other. thousabd foot roll is going to require two people to unroll it. And only cut the tape as needed or the roll comes apart and creates a real mess.

Thousand foot rolls may be a special order at pump or plumbing supply houses.

You never use anything like silicone etc. with poly pipe. Pipe warmed by the sun is sufficient to softened it to get the barbed fittings in; using a hammer without damaging threads or the fittings. Hot water or a propane torch works too but the torch takes experience to not get it too hot. If you do cut that part off and start over. Use double clamps opposing each other on each fitting and wait to tighten them until the pipe has cooled and then after you tighten them properly with the torque wrench you should be able to buy for a few dollars where you buy the pipe, check them again before back filling. DO NOT over tighten the clamps; torque them properly and then one half turn more and quit.

City water pressure may not be able to get you good pressure 800' away unless you aren't going uphill at all.

Poly has the lowest friction loss of any choice of material. Gopher proof doesn't exist unless you want to buy copper or galvanized.... Personally I'd use a .22 Long rifle cartridge on the varmints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks