Putting elbow in soil stack in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

causie

Reaction score
I've just torn out gyproc above sink in order to put a sunken medicine cabinet in wall. Unfortunately the soil stack runs right up the middle. Is it OK to put elbow in to make stack run around medicine cabinet?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's probably not a "stack". That term is thrown around quite losely. It's probably simply just a vent. If it's just a vent then you can most certainly offset it around the cabinet. And if it's a wet vent extending through more then one story it's called a "soil-or-waste stack wet vent" and there are some rules that come into play when putting offsets in them. But none of these rules would probably apply to you anyway because you're offsetting mabye 2 feet. And you're allowed to offset a vertical wet vent by up to 1.2m for pipe sizes 2 inches and less.

causie

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input. Do you think it's an issue to do it at 90 degrees? This would mean 4 elbows.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Even for the vent, though, if you set it going horiztonal for the offset, it has to be 6" above the lip of the sink before you do so (assuming it is the sink's vent).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is in Seattle, UPC plumbing code.
They don't have "soil-or-waste stack wet vents" here.

If it is indeed a vent, then you can use 45's below 42" or "waste" fittings, not vent 90's
I don't even buy vent 90's. They cost more and can only be used on vents, whereas medium 90's can be used many more places.

locus123

Reaction score
What if it were the actual stack itself? In my kitchen, the stack (which has a tub, sink and toilet feeding into it in the bathroom above), runs on the outside of the 2x6 wall. I was thinking of adding an offset of about the size of the stack (so 3", with 2x45's at the top and 2x45's at the bottom), just to recess it behind the wall. This would avoid having one of those unsightly "boxes" in the middle of the countertop. I would only offset it for the distance between the upper and lower cabinets - I don't mind losing the space in the cabinets.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What if it were the actual stack itself? In my kitchen, the stack (which has a tub, sink and toilet feeding into it in the bathroom above), runs on the outside of the 2x6 wall. I was thinking of adding an offset of about the size of the stack (so 3", with 2x45's at the top and 2x45's at the bottom), just to recess it behind the wall. This would avoid having one of those unsightly "boxes" in the middle of the countertop. I would only offset it for the distance between the upper and lower cabinets - I don't mind losing the space in the cabinets.

I think you'll find the answer to this question in my post above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks