Toilet clogged, augered it, still clogged, removed toilet and still clogged. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

spartanic

Reaction score
My toilet flushes real slow. Seemed like something got stuck in there so I got a closet auger and snaked it to death but nothing came out. Seems like the auger gets stuck on something halfway but when I push it with force it finally goes through.

After all that snaking it still flushes slowly or gets clogged. So I finally removed the toilet and turns out there's nothing on the other end!

So I put the toilet in the bathtub and tried the method of pouring lots of water in it nice and fast and sure enough it was still clogged. I ran the auger back into the toilet but this time I did it on the other end since I had it out.

Ran more water through it afterward and some peices of toilet paper came out. Now it seems like the water goes through it pretty quick. But I'm not convinced however. Water goes down it quick but you don't hear the usual gurggle at the end when the toilet is flushed.

It feels like to me something is stuck in there halfway and when you flush toilet paper down there then it gets snagged onto that object. When I run my auger through it it still gets stuck halfway. Can't get my hands in on the other end since the opening is kind of small.

What should I do next?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This problem is often caused by an object that has been flushed. Small children of try to flush things like GI Joe, Barbie, etc.. Snakes and augers go past them without out dislodging them. Usually they can be reached from the bottom, but you may need to be creative and find something that will get where you can't reach. Plumbers can list an unbelievable number of things they have gotten out of toilets with this problem, and not always things that kids put in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, just a little inspection mirror, a bent coat hanger and some luck is all it take to locate and remove whatever is stuck. the pros tend to use an aguer with a fairly large head...some of the less expensive ones available won't catch much.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can't remove the object, it my be cheaper in the long run to replace the bowl.
I have had bowls that were impossible to fix before. When it starts consuming your life, you have to ask yourself. How much do I like this dang toilet that is all plugged up? Could I fall in love with a "new" toilet, and would the relationship be a better and more lasting one?
Your call.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
`If you have hard water, it might be limed up inside the trap and the holes under the rim and not drain properly. If you are able, get a gallon of muiratic acid and pour it down the tube in the center of the tank where that little hose goes. That little hose fills the bowl. You will need plenty of ventilation when you do this. Pour the acid in slowly using a funnel in the hole. It should come out from under the rim and out of the hole in the bottom of the trap. Pour some in the bowl too. Let it set for awhile. This is not a fun task, but it might just make that old toilet flush like new. There is a posibilty that it could cause the doughnut between the tank and bowl to leak. Just don't hold me accountable if you do this. The holes under the rim make the water in the bowl swirl and gives the bowl a sort of washing action too. Toilets don't generally wear out, but they can get gunked up or cracked. Don't use sulphuric acid. That stuff will heat up and crack the toilet. There could be something simple like a pencil. They can cause problems and hide in a trap really well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turn the toilet upside down and shine a flashlight up into the toilet. With most of them you can see almost up to the top of the trap. If nothing there, then use a mirror and flashlight to look up inside from the bowl. There is a big difference between using a closet auger in a toilet, and using a closet auger "correctly". One way just goes through the toilet, and the other removes objects.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with a toilet in one of my rentals. 3 kids. When I snaked it I got a few small pieces of metal out but I could never get the whole clog. I also took the toilet out and tried to snake it in reverse but I never could get the snake to go all the way thru the bowl from either direction.
Still, the toilet seems to mostly work but too often clog.
The family with the kids just moved out (yea!) and I'm looking at replacing that toilet to forestall future problems. If I take it out, I intend to break it open to see what was in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks