Where do I shut off the water?

Users who are viewing this thread

tregg

Reaction score
I was going to fix the leaking urinal at the mall but the shut off valve normally used must be bad too. I tried shutting it off as tightly as possible but the water flow won't stop. I tried taking off the housing for the flush lever where the replacement kit goes but was afraid to take it all the way off because water was coming out too fast. I went into the basement - all the drain lines there from sinks and toilets but no water supply that I could see. There has to be a main shut off somewhere. Could it be in the ceiling above the bathrooms? This is in the men's room and is next to the women's and several fast food places. I've never seen any such plan in the maintenance room. I was just wondering if the code might suggest something. Thank you

firemanpipes

Reaction score
Yes, it is possible that the shut of is in the ceiling. I did a job on the 2nd floor bathroom of a sears in a mall. And i had to use a tall A frame ladder in the middle of the clothing section on the first floor ceiling to shut the water off on the second floor bathroom. Luckily the head maitanence man knew where the shut off was. GL... every building seems to be different, ask around with the maitenance guys there, maybe one of them could help you find it..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is almost universal that every space has its own shutoff from the main. But where it is, and how accessible it is varies from building to building. That is why I usually pipe down and place a second shutoff in an accessible area of the wall with an access cover over it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that the integral stop was the first thing he tried, and it did not work. It may be leaking because the rubber part of the stop disintegrated and that is what is caught in the diaphragm.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
You may have to go back to the meter or back flow preventer to turn it off. I'm here on the ASU campus. The valve failure is just amazing. The water out here just eats stuff up. We just replaced a butterfly valve and most of the butterfly was eaten away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks