Toilet n Tub not working but sinks are ok

Users who are viewing this thread

vrhurtado

Reaction score
I posted this in a blog and I think it belongs here, I hope :confused:.

I have a problem with my toilet and tub yet I do not have issues with my sinks in the bathroom or in the kitchen.
I have only one bathroom which worked for 4 months after a handyman replaced the cast iron pipes with ABS.
I went down the crawl space after the toilet and tub got clogged and saw that he forgot to put a vent for the toilet. There is one for the tub and a separate for the double sinks.
I snaked the toilet pipes after taking the toilet out without any success. I was surprised that the standing water did not go down, I was able to see the water inches below the toilet flange. If the main problem was the vent, then I would expected for the water to run down after the removal of the toilet which it did not. I am confused because even though the tub and toilet are out of order, the sinks (downstream) are working fine while the toilet pipe upstream is filled with water. Can anybody help me understand the problem.
I know that I should have a vent for the toilet and I will add a 2" vent this weekend but i am afraid that the problem of the toilet and tub not working will not go away. I am attaching a schematic of the current sewer configuration and below that is the proposed vent.
thanks,
victor

Attachments

• toilet vent1.pdf.jpg
    toilet vent1.pdf.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,068

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
You probably have a clog at or just after the wye (where the tub connects). This would keep the toilet and tub from draining, but would still allow the sinks to function.

The lack of vent for a toilet is not really a big deal. Many places don't require a separate vent for the toilet. The question might be why the line is clogging. He may not have put enough slope in the lines or something like that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the snake you used, you may have either not reached the clog if it wasn't long enough, or poked a small hole through it, and it quickly plugged back up again. To clean a 3" line, a 3" head works best.

If the ends of the pipe were not reamed of sharp, rough edges after cutting, they can sometimes catch things, and eventually create a clog as well.

vrhurtado

Reaction score
Thank you all, I will check the slope. The house is 60 years old, so I would expect for the pipes beyond the crawl space could be clogged more so then the new ABS pipes. I did snaked (9 mm OD) the pipes pass the y with no challenges and when I pulled the snake back i did not see any debris, but I will take your advice and rent an industrial snake with a 3". thanks for your time.

Last edited:

vrhurtado

Reaction score
Thanks. What are your comments about the proposed vent. I was planning to use a Y pointing up a few feet from the toilet towards the drain then coming back to the wall (away from the drain) another few feet. Does this meet the 6 feet vent distance requirements?

vrhurtado

Reaction score
UPDATE: Toilet and tub are working great after fixing multiple problems. I used an industrial snake, which I would recommend instead of a home product; needed to correct a slope direction by the tub and added a vent for the toilet. Now, everything is working great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks