Could a valve replacement cause other valves to break?

Users who are viewing this thread

Koru04

Reaction score
Hello,

My irrigation system has five zones: 2 control the drip system and 3 control the sprinklers on the lawn. I recently had the valve replaced that controls the drip system. When the water was turned back on after the valve replacement, all 3 lawn sprinkler valves broke.

Two of the three zones are randomly coming on for a few seconds at a time every 15 minutes or so. The other zone was 'turned off' but is leaking continually all over the lawn.

Is it possible that the replacement of one valve put more water pressure on the other valves and blew them all? I'm having trouble believing this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kelly

BRD

Reaction score
Not sure what you meant when you said "all three lawn sprinkler valves broke". Changing a valve assembly should not have an affect on other valves within the system. The static pressure within the system would not change.Not sure whats going on there, need more info.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Replacing one valve has absolutely nothing to do with the others, and it does NOT change the pressure dynamics one bit. We are not sure what kind of valves you have, but normally the only way they can turn on is if the pressure above the diaphragm becomes less than what is below it, usually because of a leak. BUT, because of the way valves work, a small leak is ALWAYS being replenished so the valve cannot operate by itself. When it does operate, it will only be for as long as it takes for the valve to stabilize, which could be those few seconds. Your job, should you agree to accept it, is to find out WHY the valve is losing enough pressure to operate and why it then shuts off. Normally, if the leak was the kind that turns the valve on, it will CONTINUE leaking and not shut off, and anything less would not turn it on in the first place. You may have an electrical problem, unless your valves work hydraulically using water pressure.

Even Flow

Reaction score
One very likely possibility: When you replaced a valve dirt and or small pebbles got into the valve assembly/manifold and is wreaking havoc on the valves. Turn off the valve on the PVB and open up the other valves and flush them out. At most you may need new diaphragms.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
I'm with Even Flow for the possible fix. What the others have said is connect. The short answer to your question is no. I think that some dirt or debris got into your other diaphrams and are cousing your other valves to 'seep' or flow slowly while thay are supposed to be off. Clean you diaphrams. If that doesn't work, your might have to replace your diaphrams.

Mick

tomm

Reaction score
you hired a hack. Any decent company would have inspected the entire system upon completion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks