Plumbing Newbie, Installed new pressure tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

marlboro

Reaction score
I just installed a pressure tank to replace one that seemed to cause cycling.

A little background:

1. Bought a home and a few weeks ago, home inspection found no issues with water system. In fact, inspector made a point to say how great the water pressure was.
2. Right after moving in, I noticed the water pressure would lessen every two seconds. After some advice, I pressed in on the air stem valve on the pressure tank and water squirted out.
3. I drained the tank then realized I needed more tools before replacing the tank. So I then put things back together and refilled the tank as I needed water for the evening. Funny thing was that the cycling was no longer every two seconds. It was now a two minutes or so, which still isnt good. So im not exactly sure how it got better by just draining and refilling.

So now I have replaced the tank. It looks like I will have to re-do some of the work as I have a tiny leak on a poor solder job I did on the copper, a tiny drip from the T connection to the tank, and condensation on the flex pipe that goes to the main connection at the wall that leads to the pump/well.

Besides fixing some of the drips, there still seems to be other issues. The cycling isnt frequent but it will still cycle less than 5 minutes of running water. I also hear what sounds like air around the pressure tank when cracking the drain valve on the T. The pressure tank is 34 gallons.

Did I just do something completely wrong? Should there be air leaking when I crack the drain valve? This is a new tank, 30 something gallons....shouldnt it keep the pump from cycling every few minutes when just running the sink, for example?

I have also looked into the CSV valves and I do plan on getting one but I need to look more into where it needs to be installed. If its in the well, then itll have to wait longer because I just dont have the kind of time right now. I also need to get this resolved as quick is possible. I have so much on my plate and still need to unpack from my move lol.

I guess I shouldve just called a professional. I was trying to save myself some money as the quotes I got were expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks