Question about dual flush toilet installation

Users who are viewing this thread

cflushing

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to see if I can fit a new dual flush toilet in my existing bathroom. I have been looking at the Caromaor a Toto. I have an older home, built in '60's, with a very old toilet (original). The floor in question is tile.
Am I correct that I would have to drill new holes in the floor? If so, is there a recommendation for a good dual flush toilet that will fit a standard U.S. installation without remodeling my bathroom--I can't afford anything but a toilet and regular installation.
Thanks
cflushing2

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We mainly install the TOTO Aquia. It takes a plumber just a while longer to drill a few holes through the tile.
I've sold and/or installed a few hundred with very good results.
We installed two yesterday in Seattle, and will do one in Everette on Wednesday.
I have the least amount of problems with the Aquia then any of the other dual flush toilets.

Don't buy anything with the EcoFlush pressure assist. I've had 40% of the tanks come back in the first six months. I no longer sell them.
Gerber, American Standard and Mansfield are a few that mistakenly provide that piece of junk.

Caroma does make the 305 bowl that will fit without drilling.
The 270 bowl requires two holes through the tile.

Last edited:

cflushing

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry. Does the Caroma 305 work well, do you think? I don't know much about the drilling expertise of the plumbers.....
Also, I'm getting confused. Do I just look up Caroma 305 round bowl and put any tank on it, or, do I need a specific tank for this bowl. I seem to find different information the longer I research these things....Am I right that it is the Caroma Sydney Smart that is what I need? (doesn't need drilling, good dual flush?)
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

cflushing

Reaction score
A couple more questions

Terry, Thank you for your time and patience.
Do you prefer one Caroma tank with the 305 bowl over another, or is it just aesthetics?
Also, I was reading about the dual flush with older homes. Do you find that there is not enough water to keep from clogging up runs from older homes to the street?
Thanks,
cflushing2

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Even with ancient 7gallon flushes, it may not carry the waste all the way to the street. Subsequent flushes move it along as well as stuff from say the washing machine, shower, etc. IF your pipes are properly pitched and layed out, it should not be a problem.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another bit of information. The Caroma toilets splash a lot of water. Any plumber should be able to drill the necessary holes for the Unifit adapter. While it does require the proper kind of drill bit, it is not rocket science.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The home I was living in before had two 1.6 toilets and one 3.5
The 4" line to the street was 250 feet long.
The only time it ever got snaked, was when the gas company ran a plastic gas line through the sewer line.
We cut the gas line when we ran the cutter through. Real fun.

Firemark

Reaction score
You don't need to be a plumber to drill holes for the Toto Aquia install. Just make sure you get the correct size bits in new condition. I used standard masonry bits with an electric drill and got a bit of a workout drilling the holes in very hard ceramic tile. You'll find other posts here recommending using a hammer-drill and bit for an easier time of it.

Gary's comment about the Caroma's splashing is well documented in video on YouTube... splashing more than just water.

pottygirl

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to see if I can fit a new dual flush toilet in my existing bathroom. I have been looking at the Caromaor a Toto. I have an older home, built in '60's, with a very old toilet (original). The floor in question is tile.
Am I correct that I would have to drill new holes in the floor? If so, is there a recommendation for a good dual flush toilet that will fit a standard U.S. installation without remodeling my bathroom--I can't afford anything but a toilet and regular installation.
Thanks
cflushing2

If you have a 12" rough, any Caroma 305 model will work and you will not have to drill any additional holes in the tiles. Caroma toilets offer a patented dual flush technology consisting of a 0.8 Gal flush for liquid waste and a 1.6 Gal flush for solids. The new Sydney Smart models use only 1.28 and 0.8 gpf, that is an average of 0.89 gallons per flush. This is the lowest water consumption of any toilet available in the US. Caroma, an Australian company set the standard by giving the world its first successful two button dual flush system in the 1980’s and has since perfected the technology. With a full 3.5″ trap way, these toilets virtually never clog. All 47 floor mounted models are on the list of WaterSense labeled HET’s (High Efficiency toilets) http://www.epa.gov/watersense/pp/find_het.htm and qualify for the various toilet rebate programs available in the US. Please visit my blog http://pottygirl.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/what-you-should-know-about-toilets/
to learn more or visit http://www.ecotransitions.com/howto.asp to see how we flush potatoes with 0.8 gallons of water, meant for liquids only. Best regards, Andrea Paulinelli

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks