Well water pressure normal than drops suddenly

Users who are viewing this thread

psdowns

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping to get some advice from this forum. We have a well that we use the water for the sprinkler system for the gardens and a greenhouse. The tank pressure shows 40 psi, but when we run the sprinkler system, the pressure drops to almost 0 psi after running around 5-20 minutes. The water pressure starts out strong, but then drops suddenly.

We had a company come out and look at the well. Our well is dug 300ft and the pump is located at 250 ft. We were told the water level is 212 ft and it is too low to get good water pressure. They are suggesting we dig the well deeper.

Also, we run a Reverse Osmosis unit from the same well to supply water to the greenhouse. For a couple of months, we had the RO unit running constantly. We just put a float valve on to pull water only when it is needed. They did suggest this could have caused a drop in the pressure, but we are still having the same problem after putting the float valve on.

Does that sound reasonable or should we get a second opinion. I hate to spend the money to dig the well deeper and find out that wasn't the problem. Any advice would be appreciated since I do not know enough about this to know if this makes sense.

Thanks!

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
How many gpm are you using. If the water level is 212ft, then you only have approx 60 gallons stored in your well at that pump setting. If you have a low yield well that 60 gallons can go fairly fast.

psdowns

Reaction score
I believe the sprinkler heads are set for 5 gpm. There are also multiple heads.

Does it sound like we need to make the well deeper? If we only have 60 gallons to use, that could be used quickly.

Thanks!!

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
You should have a yield test done on the well to see what your current production is. Maybe call the town hall and see if they have a record of when the well was drilled.

psdowns

Reaction score
Thanks. We'll ask the company to run a yield test to see what the well is able to produce. We drilled the well about 5 years ago. We didn't have a problem until this year.

The company did mention they could try lowering the pump into the well before trying to make the well deeper. I would think the yield test should help to determine if that would help or not.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks