Recipricating saw blades for plaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
I'm taking down a whole bunch of plaster with wire mesh under it. Any suggestions as to which blades I should use?

I'm thinking about trying the diablo blades for metal. I figure at $3 the experiment isn't that bad if it fails.

The other option is a carbide blade. They are rather expensive, should do well on plaster, but I'm not sure how they would do on the mesh. at $9 a piece I'm not sure I want to burn through a bunch of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I recently cut a hole in a tiled bathroom wall, and I did that with a masonry cutoff wheel that had no trouble getting on through the expanded-steel mesh behind it. In my own experience, nothing with teeth is going to hold up well in plaster.

Agu

Reaction score
You might consider this a good excuse to get an angle grinder and the appropriate blades. The grinder will be messier but the time saved will offset the cleanup time. I don't have an angle grinder but after watching a couple of the people in the trades use them it's my next choice for nasty cutting jobs.

jmo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks