(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Advice please on Delta single hande shower faucet

Blog Entries

Default Advice please on Delta single hande shower faucet

Hi Folks,

I have a huge problem know and I'd like some advice and suggestions. I remodeled the bathroom and since they install a new Delta system shower ( shower head and handler) I have problem with my water temperature.

Out of the blue the water that is on cold turns hot. My contractor took a look and told me that the installation is correct, but its not all the time that the water turns hot and that happens a few times but not all the time. So, its very difficult to diagnostic, every time that he came over the water was normal.

After the bathroom was done I had another problem, the shower water will not turn off, I replace the shower cartridge a few times and didn't fixed. I am waiting Delta send me a new original cartridge to check if we fix the problem. But the now I am worry about the water temperature if that could mess up something.

So, please give me a light and I appreciated every answer
    Barb F.
    Not Professional Plumber -

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the cartridge is not installed properly, as described in another thread (I think by you), you can get cross-over of the hot and cold. It's not likely the valve's problem, but the installation. Make sure the cartridge is fully and properly installed without an damage to the o-ring seals.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

So, do you think if I re-install I new cartridge the problem will be resolved? The shower is caped now, so I can have water in the unit.
    Barb F.
    Not Professional Plumber -

Default vaalve

What do you mean, "the shower is capped now"? IF you have to cap the shower to keep water from flowing THAT could be the reason for your problem.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The test cap they provide WILL ensure you have a cross-over situation unless you also install the plug that comes with it. To be honest, the plug they supplied on the last one I installed looked too long to fit. I didn't need it, so didn't investigate. If you have the right cartridge, and it is fully seated with undamaged o-rings, things should be fine. It is rare that the rough-in valve is defective. To seat the cartridge, it is MUCH easier if you put some plumber's grease on the o-rings first. Otherwise, it can be a major pain to install. There are notches in the rough-in valve and on the cartridge. the hot side must be oriented properly, and the cartridge inserted fully with the notch seated in the valve as well. THEN you can screw on the retainer ring. Do NOT try to use the retainer ring to force the cartridge to become seated. It should only need to be hand tightened. the retaining ring is only holding the cartridge in, it is NOT sealing anything - the o-rings provide the seal.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014