Delta 142913 - Problem: Water keep running even when its off

Users who are viewing this thread

Babifav

Reaction score
I recently remodeled the bathroom. After 02 days using the new shower, I got my first problem. The water keeps running even when its off, but don't leaking... running like its on.

So, I called a plumber and he came over and bought a replacement cartridge, the blue and white from Delta and no fix. I called my contractor and he came over and he did the same process and nothing. So, I call Delta and they are sending me a new cartridge.

My contractor thinks that we may have to change all the unit that means take the tile off and replace with a new shower system. The only problem is that may cost a big buck for me, because he says that is manufacture problem and I may try to get the money from Delta's warrant.

So, I would like to have some advice from you guys. I main problem is turning on the water runs if I turn off the water keeps running from the shower head.

delta_cartridge_1300_1400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say that they didn't use a little silicon plumber's grease on the o-rings, and damaged them when installing the cartridge or did not get it fully seated. The o-rings on the back fit into the holes at the back of the universal rough-in, and the one around the body seals the cartridge into the rough-in. You will have trouble seating the thing by hand-tightening the threaded ring...you really need to seat it, then tighten the ring only as a retaining ring, not something to seat the o-rings in the first place. It would be fairly easy to check - turn the water off, take the trim off (handle, you can leave the eschuteon), then remove the ring that holds the cartridge in. Take a look at it...you should not be able to see the o-ring - it should be inside the rough-in. If you can, then slide the cartridge out, put a thin coat of silicon plumber's grease on both the big one on the outside of the cartridge, and the two smaller ones on the back of the cartrudge, then pop it back in place. Then, put the ring on hand tight. It will leak if the o-rings aren't seated or damaged. Trying to jam them in without some grease could nick them as well. It takes a LOT of force to pop one in witout any grease, and many people may not be able to do it and try to use the ring to seat them (probably won't work, especially if you rely on hand-tighten as the instructions say). If you grease them with a light coat, it still takes some pressure, but is doable by an average person.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How old is the VALVE BODY in the wall? If it is newer than about 2006, you have the wrong cartridge. The 1300 cartridge is different for new and old. The one that is blue on the bottom, white on the top is the old style, and if you install it the water will run full blast!

alexny

Reaction score
same issue

Hello,
i have exactly the same issue. I ordered new cartridge from Delta ( blue and white) installed and water keeps running when it is in OFF position. I was wondering how you resolved this issue. If you can share how the problem was resolved i would appreciate it

thanks
alex

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like Jimbo stated there are two similar cartridges, the newer one is longer so if you used the old cartridge on a new valve the water will run when in the off position. If thats not the case then it could be the O rings were damaged when installing the new cartridge.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I should have been more clear about this. You just recently had a new shower valve installed...It is almost surely the R10000 rough in. The blue and white cartridge RP19804 is the WRONG one and will act as described. You need the cart. which is white on the bottom, gray on top....RP46074.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I doubt that the original cartridge was the "wrong" one if it came with the trim kit or valve body, and IF it had been the wrong one it would not have worked for 2 days. It would also be almost impossible to do anything to the valve body in such a way that it would have worked for 2 days and then became irreparably damaged. There is something else happening, but we cannot tell what it is without being there. I could visualize this happening if the valve were installed sideways, but then everything else would be "off" also.

Last edited:

Grace Clark

Reaction score
Having the exact same problem with the exact same Delta faucet. Bought new in sealed box and installed December 2011. Shut off problem occurred after about one week of use. Replaced the cartridge with Delta parts and it ran fine for several weeks, then same thing. Water will not turn off. As noted above, this is not a leak, shower stays in full-on when turned to off position. Just wondering if it's even worth it to go back to Delta or if this is a bad model. Hate to pull out tile and plumbing, but don't want to keep installing a faulty faucet.

handyrandy85

Reaction score
Time for an updated response

I had the same issue and searched all the forums with no luck. Finally I called DELTA support and within 2 minutes they fixed it. Luckily mine was a new install and relatively fresh in my mind.

Here's what happened:

At some point, the cartridge separated into two pieces. It should attach together as one. All you have to do is remove both piece of the cartridge and re-attach them. You should notice a better fit immediately. Then put your now one piece back in the brass casing and you should be good to go!

Randy

Max the novice

Reaction score
Time for an updated response

I had the same issue and searched all the forums with no luck. Finally I called DELTA support and within 2 minutes they fixed it. Luckily mine was a new install and relatively fresh in my mind.

Here's what happened:

At some point, the cartridge separated into two pieces. It should attach together as one. All you have to do is remove both piece of the cartridge and re-attach them. You should notice a better fit immediately. Then put your now one piece back in the brass casing and you should be good to go!

Randy

Randy you were right on. After much angst and a day of turning water main off and on to try different things I read Randy's post above and it worked perfectly. At first I didn't get it - the part of the cartridge that faces the wall comes apart side to side and that's what I thought he was saying. Not the problem. The wall side and the shower side (white and grey) connect together with a bayonet twist and I had never done that. You can still install the 2 pieces even if they are not put together and that's whats so confusing. It seems right. But now that the two halves are securely twisted together you know it's right and no more on full blast.

Jullian_Potatoe

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread! Jimbo and Jadnashua , you guys saved me ALOT of trouble. I totally used the wrong cartridge when I was fixing a shower leak (I needed the RP42074). And I didn't even think to grease the O‐rings until you mentioned it Jadnashua. If its not already obvious , I'm a total noob. It was a huge pain , and took a ton of time but overall my leak is fixed and all parts are covered by warranty. So I'm pretty happy right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks