Regenerating every day!

Users who are viewing this thread

TWEAK

Reaction score
Hello again,

A month or two ago, many of you helped me decipher the programming/salt dose and get my Fleck 7000SXT set up properly. It worked well, and I was getting soft water, appropriate salt usage, etc.

For the past few days, though, the valve has decided to regenerate every day (2 am). Water use is not different or unusual. The meter reads a fresh "charge" every morning, and still reads "plenty" left before I go to bed -- there aren't any leaks.

Any suggestions? I'm out of town for the next week so I will unplug it until I return.

Thanks!

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I understand you have made no changes to the programming. I suggest you check through the programming and confirm that it is as you originally set it.

Regeneration every day would occur if day override is set to 1.

If the programming is incorrect I suggest you correct it and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does probably have a defective circuit board.

TWEAK

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I checked the program. Day overide is set to "A--9". Everything else in the program is just as I set it, as well. Feels to me like a malfunction.

Is the board easy to swap on a Fleck 7000SXT? And where is the best place to get one?

Thanks,

TWEAK

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I understand you have made no changes to the programming. I suggest you check through the programming and confirm that it is as you originally set it.

Regeneration every day would occur if day override is set to 1.

If the programming is incorrect I suggest you correct it and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does probably have a defective circuit board.
There is another potential cause for this than the calendar override or a bad circuit board. And you don't need a new circuit board as far as anyone knows yet.

Does you version of 7000 have variable brining? If so then it is probably working the way it is supposed to.

Otherwise you probably have an unknown water leak. I have never had or heard of a metered valve regenerating too frequently due to a bad circuit board or meter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I checked the program. Day overide is set to "A--9". Everything else in the program is just as I set it, as well. Feels to me like a malfunction.

Is the board easy to swap on a Fleck 7000SXT? And where is the best place to get one?

Thanks,

TWEAK

It is not difficult to swap out a board.

As to Slusser's comment about variable brining--it is not a feature on recent versions of the Fleck 7000 and my recollection is you have an SXT version which never had the variable brining feature.

The problem should be covered under warranty and you should get warranty service from the company you purchased from.

Additional information:

If you have an older version of the electronics (not the SXT) you can check to see if variable brining is set. It is a setting in the master programming. Here is a link to the guide:

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co... Treatment/Manuals/7000 Programming 41079.pdf

Last edited:

TWEAK

Reaction score
It is not difficult to swap out a board.

As to Slusser's comment about variable brining--it is not a feature on recent versions of the Fleck 7000 and my recollection is you have an SXT version which never had the variable brining feature.

The problem should be covered under warranty and you should get warranty service from the company you purchased from.

Additional information:

If you have an older version of the electronics (not the SXT) you can check to see if variable brining is set. It is a setting in the master programming. Here is a link to the guide:

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co... Treatment/Manuals/7000 Programming 41079.pdf

My unit is an SXT. It doesn't have the variable brining option.

Gary, I'm pretty sure there is no leak. If I compare the early morning numbers on the display to the numbers before I go to bed, my usage is between 45-75 gallons per day. Besides, a 400 gallon per day leak would be a pretty good flood in the crawl space.... it's dry as a bone down there.

Is it possible that the touch pad is screwed up, and it thinks that a manual regen is being user-initiated? Although it's the same button that is used to cycle through the program, and it seemed to work fine for that.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've contacted the seller.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tweak; I would dump the program and start over. if that doesn't work it's probably the board or an internal problem with the valve and since the unit is new and under warranty, why screw with it?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Tweak; I would dump the program and start over. if that doesn't work it's probably the board or an internal problem with the valve and since the unit is new and under warranty, why screw with it?
You would replace a whole control valve instead of a part on it. That means taking the valve off the resin tank and running a high risk of pulling the distributor tube up and then having to pour water out of the tank to get the DT back in position so he can screw the new valve on the tank without breaking the DT and dumping resin into his plumbing but...

What intrnal problem could cause a nightly regeneration; IMO there is none that can do that. More likely there's a problem with the meter turbine assembly.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it was not under warranty I would probaly not but it is so I would. It could be the turbine assembly but again, it's under warranty so why screw with dissassembling it?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
If it was not under warranty I would probaly not but it is so I would. It could be the turbine assembly but again, it's under warranty so why screw with dissassembling it?
Because it is much easier and faster for the online customer or local dealer to replace a bad part on the control valve than it is to remove the control valve from the resin tank to replace the whole control valve. It is also much less expensive for the dealer and distributor and manufacturer.

And in my 23 years experience buying directly from manufacturers' distributors, dealers are to troubleshoot the problem and replace the bad part. AFAIK, that is how all control valve manufacturers and their distributors prefer it be done. You must be dealing with plumbing supply houses.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So a guy buys the unit online and now you want a local dealer to deal with the warranty issue and you wonder why Clack is dumping internet sales? Yes, I do buy my stuff from a supply house. I get a damn good price on it ( and for it :) ) and furthermore if there is a warranty issue I send it back and get a new one. No questions asked. No screwing around. The customer gets a whole new unit not something that someone has hacked on.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
So a guy buys the unit online and now you want a local dealer to deal with the warranty issue and you wonder why Clack is dumping internet sales? Yes, I do buy my stuff from a supply house. I get a damn good price on it ( and for it :) ) and furthermore if there is a warranty issue I send it back and get a new one. No questions asked. No screwing around. The customer gets a whole new unit not something that someone has hacked on.
Here is what I said; "Because it is much easier and faster for the online customer or local dealer to replace a bad part on the control valve than it is to remove the control valve from the resin tank to replace the whole control valve. It is also much less expensive for the dealer and distributor and manufacturer." Where do you see me saying a local dealer should service or warranty an online dealer's customer's equipment!!

As you well know, I do not wonder why Clack is shutting down internet dealers, I fully understand that it is because they didn't force their OEMs to insure that their dealers were sizing and programming correctly before the sale (as I have always done BTW) and they weren't servicing after the sale as all dealers should and Clack is hearing from those unhappy customers; as I have been for a few years.

And now you call replacing a part on a control valve "hacking"... LOL We were talking to or about a DIYer. They want to replace parts when needed, not to take their softener apart and run the risk of breaking their distributor tube and dumping resin throughout their plumbing; and then possibly to have to call a plumber.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
OK I get where you are coming from. However you are the same guy that sells equipment to diy'ers who have to assemble the unit and pipe it and program it. I should think removing the head would be fairly easy yes?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
OK I get where you are coming from. However you are the same guy that sells equipment to diy'ers who have to assemble the unit and pipe it and program it. I should think removing the head would be fairly easy yes?
Man it's about time!!

Why yes my customer spends about 30-45 minutes assembling their softener or filter (as I did for all my sales as a local dealer for all but 20 years) and they know it was done right and that they got the correct type and volume of resin or mineral etc.. They also know the control valve is on tight and the o-rings or distributor tube aren't damaged. I have them program their control valve before they put it on the tank, that usually takes about 2 minutes including reading my instructions. Plumbing usually takes them a few hours.

They also repair their control valve when needed, with or without me on the phone with them to troubleshoot and/or to replace a part as they do it.

Your question about the ease of removing a control valve tells me you haven't removed many control valves on in service softeners/filters or you would know it is nowhere near as easy or as fast as replacing a meter turbine assembly, circuit board or motor etc..

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I've probably puled a couple hundred over the years which is probably why I don't find it particulary difficult. Experience
Which says you're one of those guys like my ex good buddy Bob Tabor that replaces controls instead of repairing them.

Me, I've repaired a few thousand controls without replacing them.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have pulled then because that's what my supplier wants me to do. They are not interested in stocking a bunch of parts that may or may not move off their shelves and it's the manufacturers policy also. If it's out of warranty, sure I replace parts but it takes longer because parts need to be ordered and shipped. I don't know bob Taylor but he's probably a smart guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks