Brownish globules from water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Benwes

Reaction score
When I blowdown the water heater I have been getting brownish globules that come out like some larger chunk was in the tank. I poured some bleach on the stuff in a bucket and no reaction. When I put Iron Out on it it bubbles and eventually turns close to white. I have a filter before the water softener so it is not sediment from the well. I have about 2 ppm clear water iron and 30 GPG hardness. I just chlorinated the well and water heater and it made no difference. This is my 2nd water heater. The last one didn't do this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
How old is the water heater? has it ever been flushed out?. Try flushing it, you have to turn it off, if electric throw the breaker, if gas put the control on pilot put a hose on the drain valve on the bottom of the heater, turn cold valve back on and run the water until it is clear. If this dosen't help we will have to think of something else.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How large are these globules? If they look like golden sand, and feel "slippery", then you have a defective softener and MUST place it into "bypass" position immediately.

Benwes

Reaction score
The water heater is 4 to 5 years old. I flush it into a 5 gallon bucket several times a week. I drained and refilled last week. My last softener failed and I know what that looks like in a water heater. It's not the same. It's not resin.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Several times a week"? Most people don't do it several times in a lifetime. I would be curious what they look like, especially if they can regenerate that quickly.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
The water heater is 4 to 5 years old. I flush it into a 5 gallon bucket several times a week. I drained and refilled last week. My last softener failed and I know what that looks like in a water heater. It's not the same. It's not resin.

Flushing into a bucket is not flushing, you have to put a hose on the drain down valve at the bottom of the heater and run water thru it until it runs clear

Benwes

Reaction score
When said I flush into a bucket it is with a hose. Since on a well it flushes best when the system is at its highest pressure. Not enough force at lower pressures so a diminishing return. The stuff is not magnetic. What does a magnesium anode degrade to in soft water with a ph of 6.8?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks