Unstable shower pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

mastermy

Reaction score
Hi all,

My husband and I did a shower renovation and replaced the shower cartridge for a moen shower valve. Before we sealed it with the cover plate we tested it out. It is hard to pull the shower handle out and we can see the pipes moving forward as we do. Is there anything we can do to fix it?

Background info: we did a whole new tile installation with new durock. We made sure the the valve plasticguard is flush with the finished wall(the tile).

Thanks,

Myesha

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the valve, it may have screw holes to anchor it to a piece of wood blocking, or you may have needed to use straps or clamps to hold the pipes which would hold the valve in place. Also, you might want to take the cartridge out and put some plumber's grease on it, it may help move easier. the plaster guard is there just to be a guide on proper placement and help keep crud out while you are putting up the finished wall - it generally isn't used to support the valve (some thin wall installations may be the exception). In most, you can and should remove it once finished. Probably won't hurt anything, but most are not designed to be left in place during use. If there's no blocking in the wall, or the pipes aren't well supported, you won't be able to firm it up without getting in behind - maybe through a closet, so you don't have to tear up the tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks