photocell light

Users who are viewing this thread

Hidden 1

Reaction score
i have a outside light that uses a large sodium bulb with a photocell.comes on at dark off at dusk.i changed the photocell a year ago w no problems ,but lately it has been off and breaker tripped as i come home .reset it then 2 days later breaker tripped- back on all night after reset.-is this a sign the photocell is going out?in the last 5 years i have never had a problem ,always working.
any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
HPS bulbs have a feature called end-of-life cycling. They will be on for a while, go off for a while, back on , etc. This should not trip a breaker. I would just take out the photocell to rule that out, and if the problem persists, replace the bulb, and finally the ballast.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually parts for a light such as this cost more than a completely new fixture. There are several things which could cause the breaker to trip. A loose connection at the breaker, a bad ballast, etc., but the photo cell should NOT be able to trip it, unless its circuitry is shorting out periodically.

Hidden 1

Reaction score
I had a feeling it could be ballast since its got a louder of a buzz after the reset of fuse .
I may just replace light .I dont think the sodium bulb can factor in on the louder buzzing than usual.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks