Problems with Terry's washer drain pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This picture is famous and, like you, I love it.

washer_rough_b.jpg

But to my crooked eye, it looks like the 2" standpipe is reduced down to 1.5" before the vent.

Reducing a drain is a no-no. No?

The vent looks like 1.5" pipe, which is OK.

Last edited:

Bpetey

Reaction score
To me it looks like everything is 2" except the sink stub out looks to be 1 1/2.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's there to meet the requirement for the WM vent to be 6" above the flood rim.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The right hand vents the washer and the left the laundry tray.
They revent 6" above flood level.

If they had allowed the laundry tray to wet vent over the washer, there would have been one vent.
It depends on the jurisdiction that the plumbing is being done in.

You can show a minimalistic example, but it doesn't allows pass inspection in all cities.
This one does.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In my other glass eye I note a nail guard missing on the far right stud where the 10 gauge Romex passes through at the bottom.

redwood.JPG

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Romex is back far enough so it does NOT need a nail plate. I would either install it as shown without the extra vent, OR use a back to back fixture fitting and put the sink and washer drain at the same elevation without the second vent. Either move the riser to the right when the plumbing was installed, offset the sink drain back to the center outside the wall, or move the sink to accomodate the drain. And our inspectors do not like to see soft copper used above the floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no soft copper there.
It's a combination of hard copper from the floor and PEX above.
They let you use PEX in Arizona right? It's not like it's alien or illegal.
If you look closely at the picture, you see the Uponor (Wirsbo) pipe fittings.

A double fixture cross can allow the flow of water to skip across. I prefer my method to the double fixture when you are installing a washer with a high flow output.
The santee forces the water down, and doesn't allow skipping across the fitting.
Both are legal, but some things just work better.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Romex Yellow cover is 12 gauge not 10.....20 amps......and thats all you need for a washer......a dedicated 20 amp circuit with a GFCI outlet is code today, I believe.....

A 10 gauge Romex might be for the dryer....I did not notice it on my first look.....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A double fixture fitting, (NOT a cross), being a modified double combo, is a directional fitting which does not allow "skip across". They do allow PEX here, although I do not use it. Normally they do not use a hybrid system with PEX and copper combined. Every one has his/her preferred way of doing things. Some are just more complex than others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks