(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Why I Think Americast Tubs Are Junk

Default Why I Think Americast Tubs Are Junk

When researching replacement bathtubs on this site, I was surprised at the generally positive reviews that Americast received. When I removed my old Americast tub last January after barely 11 years of average use, it was a mess of cracks in the resin on the underside -- and this is a tub that apparently does not require setting in mortar.

I stumbled across photos of the bottom of my Americast tub so I'm posting them here for posterity. If you feel compelled to install one after viewing my old tub, I'd recommend installing it in a bed of mortar.

By the way, no one in my family is anywhere close to being overweight (heaviest person weighs in at 225 lbs.). In the photo of the inside of the tub, you can see a depression to the right of the drain -- this developed about 2 years after installation and water pooled there. When I examined the underside of that area, the resin had fully exposed the steel under that part and there was rust. I'm convinced it would have cracked open within another year or two. Caveat emptor!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

The Americast has a lifetime limited warranty. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...r/C1A47F0B.pdf

Now, I am the first one to admit that manufacturers warranties are so full of loopholes you are lucky the tub ever held water! Nonetheless, I think you should contact AmStd on this one.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

American Standard says installing these over mortar voids their warranty.
    So now that you've posted pictures of your Americancast tub that was'nt set on mortar, is their lawyer going to send me another letter?

The Americast is somewhat new.
    I won't set americast kitchen sinks anymore, they chip too easily.
    I bought one Cambridge tub new from the box with a chip and they wouldn't take it back. Brand new tub, carefull opened and it was chipped. I had to eat a $500 tub.
    It's true you can do a repair, but you can't sell it as new then.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The Americast has a lifetime limited warranty. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...r/C1A47F0B.pdf

Now, I am the first one to admit that manufacturers warranties are so full of loopholes you are lucky the tub ever held water! Nonetheless, I think you should contact AmStd on this one.
    I wasn't aware of the warranty, and I already disposed of the tub. Perhaps I should email American Standard my photos and see what happens, but I doubt they'll send me any money and I sure don't want any more American Standard products . . .

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsee View Post
    I doubt they'll send me any money and I sure don't want any more American Standard products . . .
    Now you sound like one of us... LOL