(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need capacity/size advice

Bob, I'm not here to fight with the members. Perhaps someone should start a forum site for people that like to argue endlessly. A quick google of water softener sizing will reveal a whole lot of sites that have charts, formulas, some even let you put your numbers in and it spits out the information. Can you tweak the settings to get better salt efficiency? Sure you can but most folks are not interested in endless arguments or fiddling around with programming, timers and such. They just want the damn thing to work. As far as salt use, I doubt most folks give a hoot whether it goes through a bag or a bag and a quarter. Salt is cheap. I've been using the same sizing formula for 30 years or more. Never had a problem. Never had a complaint. I see little reason to change at this point. I see these forums as a place to help the poster, not argue with each other.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Sorry if I started something with my question. I do appreciate everyone's input though, and between this and searching through other threads I've been able to make my purchase. Thank you all for your help.

I ended up going with the Fleck 9000 SXT, 12x52" tanks, gravel bed and 2 ft^3 of standard mesh resin per tank. I will likely have 3-4 people living here in the next year or two, and it just made sense to me to go a bit bigger now. Honestly, even if I went with 1.5 ft^3 of resin it's still overkill for just one person, so if I'm already going bigger than I currently need I figured I might as well size it to where it would work for either a small-sized family *or* a large-sized family, since the house can easily support one.

If it weren't for sites like this, I probably would have just waltzed into Lowes or Sears and bought a brand name unit for not much less than what I paid for the system I ordered. Thanks to everyone who posts here, I'll be back if I have to look up answers for any installation or programming questions.

You made a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Hays View Post
    Bob, I'm not here to fight with the members. Perhaps someone should start a forum site for people that like to argue endlessly. A quick google of water softener sizing will reveal a whole lot of sites that have charts, formulas, some even let you put your numbers in and it spits out the information. Can you tweak the settings to get better salt efficiency? Sure you can but most folks are not interested in endless arguments or fiddling around with programming, timers and such. They just want the damn thing to work. As far as salt use, I doubt most folks give a hoot whether it goes through a bag or a bag and a quarter. Salt is cheap. I've been using the same sizing formula for 30 years or more. Never had a problem. Never had a complaint. I see little reason to change at this point. I see these forums as a place to help the poster, not argue with each other.
    Originally Posted by Wally Hays
    It seems like we spend a lot of time thrashing the whole sizing issue on these threads. It's very hard to get two people to agree on anything here. I also question that post but though it was not worth going round and round all over again [/quote]

Originally Posted by Wally Hays
    Your K capacity statement is technically correct but misleading.
    And when I asked you what part is misleading you reply:

Originally Posted by Wally Hays And this is zactly why these threads always turn into the same old thing over and over. Do I really need to give a three page explanation on resin types and capacities? And even if I did all it would do is spawn yet another endless and confusing thread.
    Personally I think the threads go the way you want them to because you steer them that way. Just as you have this thread.

Somedumbname, you had nothing to do with the way this thread went.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Well Ok, I'm an open minded kind of guy and if I have indeed steered the thread than I should apologize for that, but I have read through every single post here and I'll be darned if I can find anywhere where I have steered it. I have done my best to keep if from turning into the same old argument that we have never seemed to settle in lots of other threads, but steer? Perhaps you would be good enough to point those bits out to me so that I can edit those parts. But then on another thread you accused posters of being anti diy and anti internet sales and again, I read the entire thread, each post and could find nothing of the sort in any of the posts. Are you perhaps confusing this forum with another?