(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panel supply cable

Engineering Technician The old college try's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Not at all. Typically 5'-6' is the range of distance for this.
    So, Speedy, do you think that I can possibly just leave the supply cable as-is? Any suggestions to make it safer? I could add a clamp half way from the entrance to the panel just to provide more support for the cable. I removed that water filter today, so there's really no reason for anyone to be messing in that area on a regular basis. The only reason I could see myself even going near that cable would be to shut off a valve I just added for the outside faucet just above the cable on that stub (which is no longer a stub). I'm really starting to lean toward just leaving the supply cable as is and replacing only the panel since it's sized appropriately for 200 amp service and appears to be in good condition. Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate everyone's comments so far.
    Last edited by The old college try; 06-13-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Putting a strap before the panel is a good idea. It will give it needed support and clean the area up a bit.

If it is properly sized then why not just leave it? I see no reason not to.

I am still curious as to why cacher_chick would be afraid to change the currently removed filter.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Thumbs up

Putting a strap before the panel is a good idea. It will give it needed support and clean the area up a bit.
    I appreciate the advice.

If it is properly sized then why not just leave it? I see no reason not to.
    For some reason I was starting to think that aluminum would be more dangerous than copper for the supply, but it's been here this long without problems, and I'm sure there are thousands of houses served by aluminum that haven't had any problems.

I am still curious as to why cacher_chick would be afraid to change the currently removed filter.
    Yeah, I didn't remove that filter because of that. I actually have a second filter down the line and don't use the one I removed. I thought I'd just get the extra jewelery off of the water line and as you mentioned 'clean up the area'. I also avoided having to buy another 2 clamps and a foot of copper for bonding the water line at the filter. It's actually kind of funny. Someone went through the effort of running an extremely small gauge bonding wire across it, and bonded the water meter, but there's no ground wire from the panel to the water line. I don't get it.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I would not be afraid to change the old filter. I would prefer to have the filter in a location that would be really easy for someone to change given that not everyone has the same amount of common sense that you or I might have.
    I avoid working in a panel while standing in a puddle of water too. ;o)

Not at all. Typically 5'-6' is the range of distance for this.
    Only about 10% of places require an outside disconnect, and this is typically in the southwest.
    It's worth asking I guess, but if there is not one now chances are you do not need to install one.
    I called my inspector yesterday and he was great to talk to. He said that he generally goes by the '5 foot rule' so as long as i'm under 5 feet I'm good to go. I'm glad I talked to him, because he mentioned about water/drain pipes running over the panel, and I have a 2" drain from my kitchen sink that runs over the existing panel. Now I'm going to have to somehow re-route that pipe.