Hair Dryer Has Ruined Five Outlets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
The hair dryer ruins every outlet it is plugged into. The hair dryer itself will cut in and out at times. When plugged into 5 different outlets it ruined every one of them without flipping a breaker. The outlet doesn't pop or spark, the hair dryer just stops working and the outlet will no longer work.
Does anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks for any help

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Your car will lock you out, if you leave it running (and the windows are left up). A friend of mine did this twice and called me to ask about it, and then he wanted to try it again, without lowering the window as a precaution... (!) I warned him to lower the window or else I would never speak to him again.

Molo, right now I have the same impression here. After all, you waited until five outlets were ruined.

You've said the hair dryer stops working.
Later it seems to be able to "work" again, and do something to your next outlet.

What can you tell us about the five outlets that you saved and compared to other still-working ones?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Quick, pick up the hair dryer and run outside to the trash.
Lift up the trash lid and throw the dryer inside.
Then go to Target and buy a new dryer.

Cookie

Reaction score
You let it ruin 5 outlets? Wow. Get a new hair dryer.
And, an electrician to fix your outlets now.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some cb won't trip on a momentary overload...it could be on the edge, and the overheat in the dryer trips, lowering the load before the cb trips. Also, some of the less expensive outlets don't have the greatest spring tension and/or surface area contact. I always like the commercial grade ones - you can really tell the difference when you plug something in - it just feels more robust.

But, as has been said, chuck that thing and buy a new one. Replace the recepticles with good quality ones, and don't use the back jab connection, even if it exists.

Molo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The hair dryer and outlets all belong to a friends house, not mine. He replaced two of the bathroom outlets to GFCI's and they have been ruined by the dryer. His wife just keeps moving around the house with the outlet eliminating hair dryer. I told him to chuck the dryer as well. I am curious as to what would be wrong within the dryer to cause this?

Thanks for any replies!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The dryer has a short.

Until she throws it away, or repairs the dryer, it will keep on ruining outlets.
It's the same as taking a paper clip and bridging the two prongs with it. You will see a flash of light and something is going to melt.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe all your outlets were cheap ones and they have lost their tension in the slots, or there is a problem in the dryer plug. Bad contact inside the receptacle will burn it out without tripping the breaker or a GFCI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks