What is your favorite interior latex paint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Stopped by the local Harbor Freight and picked up one of the pump pressurized aerosol cans. Had mixed success spraying the electrical switchplates and a/c register. Tried spraying the latex and while it did spray, it was not atomized very well. Paint was thinned pretty well (I thought) with water. Next time I'll thin it further. Can you thin latex with mineral spirits?

During cleanup I sprayed mineral spirits through the mechanism and the spirits atomized very well. Seems like the solution is to get my paint color from Sherwin-Williams in an oil base, then thin it down with spirits or turpentine and spray it that way.

Of course the *real* solution is a big compressor and an HVLP gun, but for spraying a dozen switchplates per year, don't think the wife will go for that one. :D

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Sometimes you can find automotive touch up aerasol paint cans that closely match your wall color. Costs like $4/ea and should do all you need.

Jason

Buni

Reaction score
Wrap first, then hang brushes to dry

After the brush is clean, I wrap it in a paper towel, securing it with a rubber band at the butt so the rubber band doesn't crush the bristles. If the bristles have 'flared' from improper use or storage, this will bring the bristles back under control when they are dry.

I drill holes in the handles of all my paint brushes so I can hang them when they're ready to dry (after I've wrapped them in a paper towel). If there's any paint left in the brush, it will drain down to the tips of the bristles and drip off, instead of accumulating in the butt of the brush. (If you lay brushes flat to dry, the paint will go back into the butt of the brush, which makes the flexible part of the bristles progressively shorter.) If I don't have a nail handy to hang them from, I put a 'twistie' through the handle to make a loop, and hang it from a handle on a cupboard, or tie it to a door handle or something similar so it can hang down.

Buni

Reaction score
PREVAL Sprayer for Spraying Registers, other small items

The best sprayer I've found for small items such as metal registers & light fixtures is PREVAL (brand) Sprayer. Available at paint stores, it's a little 4-oz CO2 cartridge that screws onto a small reusable glass bottle. You can buy the whole kit (cartridge and jar), or just the cartridge. You really only need 1 jar unless you're going to work on several projects at once.

There's a chart included that shows how much to thin different paints, i.e. varnish, oil base, latex. I've used them all, followed their proportions, and had terrific success. I even sprayed PVC louvers on vertical blinds to match the trim around my windows. Talk about custom made!! One of my greatest successes was a very basic ceiling fan -- I sprayed the entire ceiling fan (disassembled, of course) to match the ceiling -- it just fades away into the ceiling but adds a little class up there, ever so subtly. Fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks